View Poll Results: Which kind are you?

Voters
671. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purist: I don't even have any fat or ntfs partitions and I generally dislike MS and/or proprietary.

228 33.98%
  • Casual: I dual boot because I like having Linux around to tinker with and I don't take sides.

74 11.03%
  • Stuck!: I dual boot because I require windows for gaming and/or work/school and/or favorite app(s).

232 34.58%
  • Grrrrr: Don't be an elitist; there's nothing wrong with MS and proprietary.

47 7.00%
  • Others: You left me out! (specify)

90 13.41%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of Linux user are you?

Beans

Re: What kind of Linux user are you?

Quote Originally Posted by frodon
    I voted other because i have a small fat32 partition and winXP just in case i would need it but i never boot on windows except to use norton ghost to make a ghost of my linux partition every month. I still use norton ghost because i have it and i'm used to it (i mean that that partimage, mondo, or bash scripts would do the same job) and i know it works because i often restore my linux partition (i like to test many things )
    But i run all my windows games under linux and they run faster (steam, wolfenstein, ...)

So i'm between stuck and purist i think.
    Just a note, but you can use tar to make a partition image, it is automaticly compressed. But the choice is yours off course.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn
    Open Source can, Free Software can't.

People mix the two as if they were the same, yet they are not.
    Exactly my point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Curious.
    I try to use Linux as much as I can and I want to learn more.
    I keep my dual-boot with Mac, but I'm looking forward to repartitioning.
    Linux is now carrying the torch that was carried by Apple in the '80/'90.
    M$ is evil.
    There are only 10 kind of people in the world: people who understand binary and people who don't...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just a note, but you can use tar to make a partition image, it is automaticly compressed. But the choice is yours off course.
    I know, it's my stupid side, but i like to have a bootable cd which is able to restore an image but indeed we're able to do the same thing with the ubuntu live cd.
    Well i think i will have a look again to this guide : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81311 but i'not sure that it will take less time to boot on a live cd than on XP, i mean in case that you cannot boot on linux.

but yes i agree with you a tar works just well (especially as cron job), mondo looks pretty good too and it allow to create bootable ghost images.

Beans
    Hidden!

as my computer is just a hobby to me, i can afford to be a purist. if it were a matter of importance, i would do whatever it took to make my life easier, whatever that may be.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

95% of the time I am only using Linux but when I have to use CAD or CorelDraw I have to go back into windows. I play UT2004, Q3A and Enemy Territory natively under Linux so that’s my online fragging needs seen to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I like windows and linux. They both get the job done. I dual boot because its fun to play with new stuff. I keep windows as my primary desktop because I do a lot of database development with Access and Mysql. I have played with base and mysql and it works, but in the end it does not matter much. A common desired feauture is integrationg with outlook. A lot of buisinesses use outlook and exchange and changing is just not an option. So I have to have windows and office around just because it is what most companies that I know of use. I have tried to tlalk to some about changes, but people don't like change.

I think microsfot stuff is fine...XP is a vey nice OS. I also like Ubuntu and Fedora. I would prefer fedora if not for YUM. Once I tried Synaptic there was no going back to yumex. Fedora 5 comes out next month though and they have a package manager so I will probably try it.

I am running Dapper right now and love it. My only issue with Ubuntu is that it is hard to stay up to date. If bakcports does not have what you want, you just have to wait and you are "forced" to update. I'm not complaining. I love ubuntu.

Thats my two cents...sorry about the rambling.
    Registered Linux user #386230 - Get Counted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i dual boot. my office PC is ubuntu only.. iam trying to get my officemates to use ubuntu. they use suse, etc now.. i even have the install cd, live cd on display on my desk and i noticed some one grabbed the live cd for sometime....

isnt it a success?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm somewhere beween purist and stuck, I guess. XP is still on hda2, because I can't get Civ4 to run worth a crap under Wine. But in six months, I've gone from "XP for everything" to "XP for one game that I bought right before I switched to Linux and nothing else." We'll get there.
    "We reject kings, presidents and voting. We believe in rough consensus and running code." -Dave Clark, IETF

Howto: Enable Restricted Media Formats - Add Extra Repositories Auto-Magicallly! - RTFM (pages) - Help Thyself!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I have MP3 support installed which is legal here.
    Really?
    Could you elaborate that?
    I live nearby (Amsterdam) and thought it wasn't very legal to do so.
    Then again, we have legalised things which aren't legal anywhere on the planet...

More on topic though, I'm the "Stuck!"-type.
    If I'd have more money, I'd probably buy two monitors and attempt to run Ubuntu on one screen and XP/Vista on the other.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast