Thread: How partitions are setup & how do they work?

Beans

How partitions are setup & how do they work?

I am Windows poweruser. Even though i have played around with other systems, never used one for my day to day work. I am 100% Linux newbie.

I usually allocate 1/4 for the OS(C while is the rest is my D: where i keep my files. All applications are installed in C: while the backup of some important data(bookmarks) are also maintained in D:. So, if i need to re install or anything. I dont have to back up my data specially and copy back the whole thing.

How can i achieve a similiar setup in Ubuntu?? Or is my approach not suited for Linux systems?
    Please also mention which file system should i choose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How partitions are setup & how do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by qbektrix View Post
    I am Windows poweruser. Even though i have played around with other systems, never used one for my day to day work. I am 100% Linux newbie.

I usually allocate 1/4 for the OS(C while is the rest is my D: where i keep my files. All applications are installed in C: while the backup of some important data(bookmarks) are also maintained in D:. So, if i need to re install or anything. I dont have to back up my data specially and copy back the whole thing.

How can i achieve a similiar setup in Ubuntu?? Or is my approach not suited for Linux systems?
    Please also mention which file system should i choose.
    Hi, and welcome.

Are you going to be dual booting ?

if so, this how-to is pretty darn good.

http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dua...stepbystep.htm

For the ubuntu part...

You will need a swap area (choose it to be the same size as your RAM if you have 1Gb Ram or more).

To ease any further updates, you can also set up a seperate /home area - This is not needed at first & can be done later once you're more familiar with ubuntu.

You need about 10Gb minimum for ubunut - Don't accept the default 2.3Gb - move the slider to give you at least 10Gb.

You will be able to read/write to your windows area - so music/pics/vids/documents etc will be accessable via ubuntu.

Welcome to Ubuntu !!

There are some excellent How-To's and introductary stuff in the stickies in this section.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

Regards,

Phill.