Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: mount: only root can mount --- What the hell is this?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    India, Tamilnadu
    Beans
    204
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Red face mount: only root can mount --- What the hell is this?

    iam using ubuntu9.04,
    recently i format my HDD(ntfs) to ext3 with Gpart.

    now i can't access my harddisk(drive)
    dolphin give an error look like this
    Code:
    mount: only root can mount
    i have tried chown,chmod to change permissions to this drive, but still i can't access that drive?

    help me friend
    -baskar

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    1,745

    Re: mount: only root can mount --- What the hell is this?

    You could make it automount using fstab, or you could try using the -o option and seeing if that accepts the "user" option to let you mount it as a normal user(unlikely, but worth a try).
    Licat volaré si superturgum Aquila volat

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    India, Tamilnadu
    Beans
    204
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: mount: only root can mount --- What the hell is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by scragar View Post
    You could make it automount using fstab, or you could try using the -o option and seeing if that accepts the "user" option to let you mount it as a normal user(unlikely, but worth a try).
    i can't get you,
    Where i can use this -o option

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Beans
    13,636
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: mount: only root can mount --- What the hell is this?

    Try
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/drive
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1/ /media/drive
    substitute /dev/sdb1 for whatever your drive has been given.

    Check by typing
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    And if you`ve got a minute ...... vote for the washing machine

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Beans
    3,786
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: mount: only root can mount --- What the hell is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by baskar007 View Post
    i have tried chown,chmod to change permissions to this drive, but still i can't access that drive?
    If you want the partition to be automatically (statically) mounted, you need to add the specific information to the /etc/fstab file. For example, you need to add an entry such as
    Code:
    # /dev/sda6
    UUID=AB707BCE707F8DE8 /media/sda6     ext3    defaults,relatime,auto 0       1
    In the above example (your details will differ), you can find out the correct UUID for your partition (the part in red) using the command
    Code:
    sudo blkid /dev/sda6
    (Replace sda6 with the actual partition device ID in your case).

    You should also create the mount point (the part in blue)
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/sda6
    sudo chown root:plugdev /media/sda6
    Note that directories / files subsequently created on the mounted drive will carry ownership / permissions relevant to the user.

    Post back if you need more details. A look at your current partition/hdd structure will be helpful; give the following commands from a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal)
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    mount
    Also, as an aside: I'd suggest you mind your language on public forums such as these; you may well end up with an infraction for inappropriate language.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    India, Tamilnadu
    Beans
    204
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: mount: only root can mount --- What the hell is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    If you want the partition to be automatically (statically) mounted, you need to add the specific information to the /etc/fstab file. For example, you need to add an entry such as
    Code:
    # /dev/sda6
    UUID=AB707BCE707F8DE8 /media/sda6     ext3    defaults,relatime,auto 0       1
    In the above example (your details will differ), you can find out the correct UUID for your partition (the part in red) using the command
    Code:
    sudo blkid /dev/sda6
    (Replace sda6 with the actual partition device ID in your case).

    You should also create the mount point (the part in blue)
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/sda6
    sudo chown root:plugdev /media/sda6
    Note that directories / files subsequently created on the mounted drive will carry ownership / permissions relevant to the user.

    Post back if you need more details. A look at your current partition/hdd structure will be helpful; give the following commands from a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal)
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    mount
    Also, as an aside: I'd suggest you mind your language on public forums such as these; you may well end up with an infraction for inappropriate language.
    THankyou

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    102

    Re: mount: only root can mount --- What the hell is this?

    Thank you from me too.

    An aside: I've been a fan of ubuntu/linux for a while, and since being given a win7 laptop for work it's justified my decision somewhat, but it's things like this which I couldn't begin to explain to fans of other OSs. Look at prshah's post, minus the quote: clearly written, explaining the various highly technical steps one must take so you can look at stuff on your external hard drive (assumes one knows how to edit files as root. and how to GET to fstab in the first place - neither of which are super simple).
    In short: I love linux for its open, dependable, flexible nature. But i hate it for the times it makes simple tasks so complicated one starts thinking "computers were supposed to make our lives SIMPLER".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    14,709
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: mount: only root can mount --- What the hell is this?

    Old thread closed.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •