Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: xsplash - How to disable it ?

Beans

Re: Disable new splash screen (Karmic)

Threads merged. Please do a search before starting new threads.

Beans

Re: Disable new splash screen (Karmic)

Quote Originally Posted by nitrofurano View Post
    for now what i did were renaming /usr/bin/xsplash to /usr/bin/xsplash_ - but i'm affraid this doesn't last after the next update..

which .sh file calls xsplash on boot? i'm about editing it as soon as i know which file is - anyone knows?
    Nah, that an ugly hack If you look at the $PATH variable, you would see that /usr/local/bin have a higher priority than /usr/bin
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    So, just create an empty file in /usr/local/bin with the same name
    Code:
    sudo touch /usr/local/bin/xsplash
    Maybe one needs to chmod it too. I dont have karmic installed ATM so i can't tell.
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/xsplash
    That said, this is an ugly hack too (sort of). Does anyone know how to disable xsplash, *properly*?
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans

Re: xsplash - How to disable it ?

anyway, that tip from aa.ivanov works fine! (/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default and /etc/gdm/Init/Default)

anyway, "man xsplash" and "xsplash --help" doesn't works

another issue: when i were trying to see what xsplash is all about, i edited all the pictures from /usr/share/images/xsplash , writing their resolution with GIMP, and saw the 1440x900 picture were loaded in my default 1280x960 display - so, i created a 1280x960 picture from a 1280x1024 crop, and xsplash insisted on displaying 1440x900 picture.. - really weird..

Beans

@aa.ivanov and @pelle.k - that 8 line commenting on that 2 files is useful, but when someone can improve it to be changed in a simpler way, please let us know - it's scarry how Gnome configuration tools are becoming more limited - enabling and disabling xsplash could be as simple as choosing menu:system/preferences or menu:system/administration

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Code:
    test@test:~$ sudo xsplash --help
    Usage:
      xsplash [OPTION...] xsplash

Help Options:
      -h, --help               Show help options
      --help-all               Show all help options
      --help-gtk               Show GTK+ Options

Application Options:
      -g, --gdm-session        Run in gdm session
      -b, --background         Filename for background image
      -d, --daemon             Run in daemon mode
      -l, --logo               Filename for logo image
      -t, --throbber           Filename for throbber image
      -f, --frames             Number of frames for the throbber (default 50)
      -p, --pingpong           Whether to reverse throbber directions
      -x, --timeout            Timeout (in seconds - 15s by default) 
      -s, --add-signal         Add a signal to listen for.
      --display=DISPLAY        X display to use
    Now you can change whatever you want in /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default and /etc/gdm/Init/Default.

But back to topic: I still don't understand what's wrong with simply uninstalling Xsplash if you don't want it. I mean it's not something you turn on and off on a daily basis.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

@MacUntu
    The idea is that other things depend on xsplash. On a normal desktop/laptop it would uninstall ubuntu-desktop which being a meta-package does not pose a big issue. But I think I've heard a complaint from netbook users that it actually breaks something for them.

As for me - I'm just curious about the new animal on the farm. Ubuntu drops the usplash (which it reasons to be plymouth like) in favour of the rhgb-like xsplash (and the rhgb was dropped out of fedora for some time advancing plymouth). Looks interesting... to say the least
    Computers are extremely complicated machines, that are capable of solving almost every issue that did not exist prior to their invention.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123