Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: xsplash - How to disable it ?

Beans

Re: Disable new splash screen (Karmic)

i'm curious to know about how to disable it - i used startupmanager to disable up to Jaunty, but it doesn't work on Karmic - it seems we need other tools or edit other configuration files? which are them?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: xsplash - How to disable it ?

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    xsplash is more than an image. It is when xorg is coming on line. I doubt that the GDM login will com up without it. Might be hard to get in that way.

The boot order is usplash, xsplash, GDM, xsplash, desktop. I do not think altering that is going to give you a happy time.
    Actually it's as hard as commenting out a total of 8 (eight) lines in two GDM configuration files.

Xsplash is hooked up for appearance on GDM initization (/etc/gdm/Init/Default) and on new session startup i.e. after login (/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default). The actual code looks like this:

Code:
    if [ -x '/usr/bin/xsplash' ];
    then
            /usr/bin/xsplash --daemon
    fi
    Commenting out the Init/Default results in black screen instead of the chocolate-brownish xsplash prior to the login screen being shown. Commenting out the PreSession/Default file results in the good old visual behavior I'm used to - Gnome being loaded and bringing my desktop to screen bit by bit.
    Computers are extremely complicated machines, that are capable of solving almost every issue that did not exist prior to their invention.

Beans

I went a different route in getting rid of the "chocolate overdose induced diahria color image. I choose an image for my wallpaper and use it for the menu background and replace the xsplash images with it too. GDM uses the /usr/share/images/xsplash/bg_2560x1600.jpg image.

I think it looks kind of neat that way.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Is there a method for this yet? There probably should be considering Karmic comes out in 2 days.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Disable new splash screen (Karmic)

Since I started testing Karmic, I have switched the boot parameters in /etc/default/grub from "quiet splash" to "noquiet nosplash" (and ran update-grub) but it still doesn't display all messages. Now I only get the very basic usplash messages like this:
    Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
    PulseAudio configured for per-user sessions
    and not all output that any init script sends to stdout or stderr. Since this was not a problem in Jaunty I'm guessing this is a bug/oversight in Karmic. Now do I have to rewrite all my init scripts to output all useful information specifically as usplash/lsb init messages?

I just don't understand why we should hide all of the boot up messages behind a pretty picture. Seeing a few messages scroll by during boot up certainly won't hurt anyone, and in many cases it makes it easier to debug things if there is a hardware or network problem. In cars they replaced useful gauges with "idiot" lights because they were cheaper, but for a computer this makes no sense.
    Last edited by opensensesolutions; October 27th, 2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: additional details

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I took a peek at the /usr/share/images/xsplash directory.. it looks like there are 7 background images, each optimised for a certain resolution. Plus 4 different sizes of the Ubuntu logo, as well as 4 throbber images.

Since I have found no xsplash configuration file, I assume these images and the path to them are hardcoded in xsplash...

Has anyone seen any documentation on xsplash?
    Computers are extremely complicated machines, that are capable of solving almost every issue that did not exist prior to their invention.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

man xsplash
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks! It summarizes it quite well

Code:
    aivanov@ubuntu:~$ man xsplash
    No manual entry for xsplash
    See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Gnaaa, sitting at a Win-box.

'xsplash --help' it is.
    The Power User’s Guide to Unity
    Questions about Ubuntu? Ask them at askubuntu.com!

Beans

for now what i did were renaming /usr/bin/xsplash to /usr/bin/xsplash_ - but i'm affraid this doesn't last after the next update..

which .sh file calls xsplash on boot? i'm about editing it as soon as i know which file is - anyone knows?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast