Thread: ATI graphics card troubles

Beans

Question ATI graphics card troubles

hi there,

the ubuntu video driver is too squished and hurts my eyes. Its not very hi-def.

ive tried installing envy to find a new driver, it installs but it does not show up in my system>administration menu!

any suggestions on how i can improve the quality of my graphics card?

I am using a Radeon HD 5750 Graphics card

thanks very much

x-ecutioner

Beans

Re: ATI graphics card troubles

Good luck. I've nothing to add... just subscribing to this thread as I'm about to make the jump from nVidia to ATI.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by x-ecutioner View Post
    hi there,

the ubuntu video driver is too squished and hurts my eyes. Its not very hi-def.

ive tried installing envy to find a new driver, it installs but it does not show up in my system>administration menu!

any suggestions on how i can improve the quality of my graphics card?

I am using a Radeon HD 5750 Graphics card

thanks very much

x-ecutioner
    I have the same type of card and have the same problem. The latest drivers from ATI can be installed, but it causes all kinds of problems unfortunately. I've just installed EnvyNG, but it doesn't help a bit. (should be under Apps > System Tools)
    It only shows one driver (8.620-0ubuntu3~jaunty) and tells me it's not compatible...

If anyone has a solution for this, please help us out...

Beans

bump
    any advice of any sort, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Doubt that would work, but try running "xrandr -s 1920x1080" or whatever resolution.

EDIT: Nevermind that, I think I found you a driver! Try https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run (it's from the AMD website, originally for the HD 5800 series but AFAIK it should work). Just download and run as root.

Tell me how it goes!
    Last edited by AndyM3; October 30th, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
    --Andy
    Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat".
    My blog: andym3.wordpress.com
    The Ubuntu/Debian user's savior: keryxproject.org

Beans

hey there,

thanks for the help
    i made the file into an executable, dragged it onto the terminal, and entered my password.

the wizard then went through its process and i selected the normal install (or something like that there were two options i believe normal and custom so i just went with normal)

the installation wizard then completed and it eventually lead me to the window (wizardcompletion.jpg attached with this post).

i typed in aticonfig into the terminal but it said no supported adapters detected.

so i restarted the computer and under my applications tab i got the ATI catalyst control center app appear as well as the ATI catalyst control center administrative.

i cannot access both control center apps (problem.jpg), aticonfig is still giving me the same message, and my graphics have not improved. I have tried adjusting the visual effects in the appearance Preferences menu, but it says that normal mode or advanced mode cannot be enabled

EDIT: i have also tried typed in aticonfig --initial -f in the terminal but it is also telling me that no supported adapters detected. Does this all mean my graphics card is not supported?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

x-ecutioner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by x-ecutioner; November 1st, 2009 at 07:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG37221 View Post
    ..as I'm about to make the jump from nVidia to ATI.
    I did that and I'm kind of thinking of switching back and picking up a cheap GTX 260 or 275 maybe, merely for the Linux support. Using custom kernels gave me nothing but headaches with my HD4870, granted the generic ones always worked okay.

Anyway, @x-ecutioner

I normally use a package based install for the fglrx driver, hasn't failed on me yet.
    The procedure is as follows;
    1 - Build .deb packages with sh <Catalyst installer script name> --buildpkg Ubuntu/<release name - hardy, jaunty etc.>
    2 - Install them with sudo dpkg -i
    3 - Run sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    4 - Reboot and check to see if running fglrxinfo shows your card correctly.

Here's a good guide, it's for Jaunty but it's essentially the same for the other releases too.
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

Using this method has always worked for me with my HD4870, I'm not sure how you'll fare with the 5870 though.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Catalyst Installer I'd recommend to try and use:
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run
    Last edited by Zoot7; November 1st, 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Beans

@zoot7: Thanks. I've an integrated ATI4200 on my motherboard (785G chipset). I stuck with my 7600GT. It works (as well as Karmic will allow).