View Poll Results: What GUI you think should be the best for Ubuntu ?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • KDE

8 21.05%
  • Gnome

26 68.42%
  • I don't care.

4 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the future of Ubuntu? Your ideas, our care...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Lightbulb What's the future of Ubuntu? Your ideas, our care...

Sup all,

I read a lot of topics here and there. The big question that is so controversial is...
    What's going to happen to Ubuntu in the near future?

Some says that Ubuntu should turn to a KDE Desktop to make advantage of a great GUI, because the look of Gnome is so outdated and has ugly themes on Ubuntu. All about giving an interest to newbies on Linux over Windows7 or Mac. Plus, the bad reputation also known of Gnome 3 doesn't help much! With such bad ideas about next Ubuntu releases.

And else says that Gnome is less buggy and more faster than KDE and you can change Theme as you wish.

At my opinion, I agree that Gnome is faster and stable than KDE, but... I'd like Ubuntu change to a KDE Desktop, but keep the Gnome programs. Kubuntu is known to be a bad distro as a stable KDE environment and called "unpolished". Of course they dont have much $$$ than Ubuntu for development, but I think Ubuntu could slash out Kubuntu of the list and being a famous distro for a KDE GUI. If you take few seconds, Plasma Workspace is not a bad idea and looks pretty well for a fresh environment...

What's your opinion of the thing? What would be a great Ubuntu?

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What's the future of Ubuntu? Your ideas, our care...

Dude, this should be in the Community Cafe board. Your currently in the support boards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Using KDE desktop and with gnome apps? How much disk space do u want ubuntu to take up? If ubuntu ever switches to KDE I think i'll just leave. Gnome can be customized and can look real pretty. I don't think Cononical will be so stupid enough to change to KDE, I don't think good-looking GUI is what Ubuntu is triving to achieve, and it surely is not the reason why I use Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

KDE is great. But I think there are still some things that may bother newcomers. It's obvious, though, that KDE has a lot of flashy stuff built-in that people may like, and it's quite fast, these days.

I really can't say for sure which is better for Ubuntu, but Gnome is still better for me as far as I can tell. Most Ubuntu users I know only know Gnome, however. So it may be hard to sell them on a new interface (which is ironic considering the huge change from Windows for most of them).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello,

Answering your question,I voted for Gnome,because it is easier for recent migrants from Windows.

Having been at this for seven whole months,having climbed the initial Linux/Debian learning curve with Gnome,I find myself preferring much of the KDE software---and the KDE documentation.

KDE allows more options and customizations--but at the cost of more complexity doing the customizations,which is why I think someone new to all this should start with Gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've never caught on with KDE.

GNOME is amazing for me, I guess I like simplicity which I can understand a lot of people don't.

GNOME + Mist theme is very clean and simple, I like maximum desktop space (so I can do stuff ), and I don't like having icons on my desktop (because I actually rarely look at my desktop), GNOME caters to my wants pretty well.

Sure, KDE might be able to do the same, but there's also the whole native GTK thing going on. I guess I have just been using GNOME for too long to consider changing. I once installed XFCE thinking it might be a simpler version of GNOME - but I didn't think so, my machine isn't "slow" per say (it's probably not very fast though), but it seems to LOVE running GNOME, because I have never had any problems, and the response is always snappy. I'm interested to see what happens with GNOME 3.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Stay with Gnome. I tried Knoppix before and didn't like the setup they had. When I went to Ubuntu I really liked the Gnome setup. As others have said, there are so many themes out there that a person can download and always more being developed. Granted I still have problems in things but I'm learning all the time and I like what I see here.

Tom
    Lucid Lynx 10.04, Xubunntu 11.10
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD.Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. I'm using Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5ter View Post
    Sup all,

I read a lot of topics here and there. The big question that is so controversial is...
    What's going to happen to Ubuntu in the near future?

Some says that Ubuntu should turn to a KDE Desktop to make advantage of a great GUI, because the look of Gnome is so outdated and has ugly themes on Ubuntu. All about giving an interest to newbies on Linux over Windows7 or Mac. Plus, the bad reputation also known of Gnome 3 doesn't help much! With such bad ideas about next Ubuntu releases.

And else says that Gnome is less buggy and more faster than KDE and you can change Theme as you wish.

At my opinion, I agree that Gnome is faster and stable than KDE, but... I'd like Ubuntu change to a KDE Desktop, but keep the Gnome programs. Kubuntu is known to be a bad distro as a stable KDE environment and called "unpolished". Of course they dont have much $$$ than Ubuntu for development, but I think Ubuntu could slash out Kubuntu of the list and being a famous distro for a KDE GUI. If you take few seconds, Plasma Workspace is not a bad idea and looks pretty well for a fresh environment...

What's your opinion of the thing? What would be a great Ubuntu?

Cheers!
    For starters Gnome 3 Isn't even out yet. The shell preview if you will is not final and most likely won't be same as it. Also Ubuntu will stick to Gnome sense its Sibling OS Kubuntu already uses KDE. And what sense is there to have them both use it? No its extremely unlikely the Ubuntu flavor will ever move from Gnome itself.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; October 25th, 2009 at 05:30 AM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

more faster?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kixome View Post
    more faster?
    Regardless if KDE is faster it won't happen Kubuntu IS the KDE version of Ubuntu. Thus there is no reason to have KDE on Ubuntu itself as Ubuntu is the Gnome version. It would be senseless to have them both KDE as they would be identical.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast