Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying KDE 4.3 on Karmic- fresh install or kde-desktop install?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Trying KDE 4.3 on Karmic- fresh install or kde-desktop install?

If you just want to experiment with Kubuntu then I would run it in its own partition.

As a dissenting opinion to those above however, I usually install Ubuntu first then Kubuntu desktop over it. Other than some initial tests to make sure everything is working I do not use Gnome often however. Clutter in the menu does not bother me since I rarely use them (krunner and gnome-do are my launchers).

Really the pattern came about due to long term use. I started with Ubuntu, switched to Kubuntu at Gutsy, then with the debacle that was KDE 4.0 switched back to Ubuntu until Karmic. By installing Ubuntu then kubuntu-desktop I could switch back and forth and try KDE4 (unusable in Hardy/Ibex, mediocre in Jaunty, I am quite pleased with Karmic) while still having Gnome to fall back on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yeah, I'm a Gnome-DO addict, and krunner seems to be a great alternative to it (a lot of crazy functionality just 'cuz). That's what I like about KDE. It has a lot of experimental stuff hidden away just in case. Sure, a lot of people hate having so much stuff to configure/set, but I think it's a good showcase of what an OS can really pull off.

The only request I would have, for the sake of noobz, is that PackageKit find some way to separate applications from packages (like how we have Add/Remove and the Ubuntu Software Center in Gnome, then Synaptic, but just separate them as menu items). It's a bit cluttered and disorderly when it comes to just installing applications, much more finding them.

But I'm still glad that they're taking on PackageKit at all. Looks like Karmic is a great release for each version so far.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slakkie View Post
    I never noticed any clutter
    Really? What I'm talking about here is Gnome and KDE programs being mixed in the menu. To me that's clutter. I primarily use Gnome and KDE installs so many applications that I never use in Gnome.

And by all means, I'm not criticizing Ubuntu (or Kubuntu). I merely suggest improvements to basic usability. This is easily taken care of in other distro's I've tried, so I'm just wondering why Ubuntu doesn't.

Regards,
    wxnker
    Ubuntu 13.04 - Gnome Shell 3.8.x

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ah. That is peculiar. However, perhaps they think it adds to functionality since, if QT and GTK can live in perfect harmony, why separate them in the menus?

But you know, I could just edit the menus myself, problem solved. I think it's highly amusing that Linux, something people have chronically associated with difficulty, is actually ridiculously easy to use and set up the way you want it.

No really, it's hilarious. But we keep just making it easier. I'm gonna' go now and contemplate the existence of Windows. XD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    Ah. That is peculiar. However, perhaps they think it adds to functionality since, if QT and GTK can live in perfect harmony, why separate them in the menus?
    Basically to keep the menus clean and simple. I guess I prefer having the non-native DE apps in a subcategory by default. That way my menus are still easy to browse and non-native DE apps are just a click away.

But you know, I could just edit the menus myself, problem solved. I think it's highly amusing that Linux, something people have chronically associated with difficulty, is actually ridiculously easy to use and set up the way you want it.
    Yes, I know. It's very easy. I would prefer starting out with a more clean menu and then edit from there, though. Less stuff to edit. Also this ensures clean menus in both KDE and Gnome at the same time.

I agree. Linux nowadays is so simple. Much simpler than Windows really, If a user were to start out with both distros from scratch. Not knowing either one in advance.

Cheers,
    wxnker
    Ubuntu 13.04 - Gnome Shell 3.8.x

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Unlike some of the others that prefer never to install one on top of the other, I ALWAYS install ubuntu, then sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop and kde-full. I then do as another mentioned by removing the kde network manager and go to system settings/advanced/autostart and add nm-applet. the only way I can connect is wireless and kde wireless is borked. I much prefer running kde but like to play with gnome and gnome-shell at times. and it just works better for me to just logout select a different session and log back in under a different environement.

I have always prefered kde but with kde 4.0-3 it was just to unstable and stuck it out with gnome. Now it's pretty rock solid and snappy so I'm back to being a kde prefered user. The "clutter" doesn't bother me because I set what I like to use in favorites and have easy access to everything. The big use apps like terminal, firefox, and pidgeon I just add to panel.

I especially prefer kdm to gdm2, right now gdm2 is difficult to do anything with, but kdm is still completely configurable from system settings/advanced/login manager in kde.

just my take

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12