Thread: Typo in forum rules

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Typo in forum rules

Hi

This is a minor issue. I was reading through the forum rules at work when nothing much was happening. I picked up a few typo's in the forum rules (the one new users need to agree to when they first register) under "Section II - Technical Support Policies:"

There are no stupid questions. You're not a stupid person simply because you do not no how to do something, or do not have the answer to a question. Everyone was a green user at one point in time.
    Please change "no" to "know" if any one is as bored as me.

Under "Section III - Forum Staff Policies and Expectations:"

4. Thread Closing:
    If a thread has run it's course and posts have begun repeating themes a thread may be closed - if possible, announce that the thread has run it's course before closing so that people may add closing statements - don't forget to thank all users involved in the discussion. If a thread has become a situation where people are simply too personally involved in the issue a thread may be closed and / or jailed. If a thread is a duplicate of another thread, it may be closed (please provide a link to another open thread on the same topic.)
    Please change "it's" to "its".

8. Religion/Politics threads:
    Clean conversations should be kept in the backyard. If you find a thread regarding religion/politics and its not already in the backyard please move it.
    Please change "its" to "it's".

Last edited by amylase; October 23rd, 2009 at 11:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Typo in forum rules

Well spotted.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I love you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Awkward...

Beans

Lightbulb Possible Typos in Forum Rules

In the following, my questions to you are prefaced "MyQ". My questions, relating to different paragraphs in the Rules, are separated by -------------------.

----------------------------------------------------
    In "Ubuntu Forums Rules", under
    "Section I - General Policy"

MyQ:Is the last sentence in item 2 easier to understand if changed to
    "Please Be Considerate and Respectful of others. See the Code of Conduct for more exact specifications."
    i.e.
    2. Profanity: Mild profanity/swearing is allowed in the context of general speech. Explicit profanity/swearing is not allowed, and under no circumstances will we allow any profanity to be directed toward another person. Please see the Code of Conduct:Be Considerate, and the Code of Conduct:Be Respectful for more exact specifications.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    (No question on this point, just a thought.) In Item 9, I really like your use of the word obfuscated. Very good word choice, IMHO, and gave me a chuckle:
    i.e.
    Please refrain from using "leet" speak or slang. These forums are a tool for communication, which will be obfuscated by those types of writing.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    In "Ubuntu Forums Rules", under "Section II - Technical Support Policies"

MyQ: Would "There are always..." read better as "There is always..." ?
    i.e.
    13. Please remember to do things the Ubuntu way. There are always more than one solution to a problem, choose the one you think will be the easiest for the user. Automatic...
    ---------------------------------------------
    In "Ubuntu Forums Rules", under "Section III - Forum Staff Policies and Expectations"

MyQ: Is the word "soft" intentional? Maybe it is intended to be "be". Or, add "be" before the word "soft".
    i.e.
    ]7. Adult Content/Violence/Illegal Activity:
    Messages containing offensive / sexually oriented / violent / illegal dialog, images, content, or links to such will be moved to the backyard or jailed depending on the information it contains, use your best judgement. Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will soft deleted by an administrator. These actions could result in a ban for the user.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    In "Ubuntu Forums Rules", under "Section III - Forum Staff Policies and Expectations"

MyQ: Would you consider the following instead? "Sometimes you will read a thread you might not agree with. It is imperative that you keep an open mind towards all ideas, including and welcoming the people who present these ideas. Keep a neutral focus when replying. "
    i.e.
    11. Keeping an open mind:
    Sometimes you will be faced with a thread you might not agree with it's imperative you keep an open mind towards all inclusive people, and keep a neutral focus when replying.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Sincerely,
    MaCon
    Machinery Controller )
    Last edited by lisati; November 14th, 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Normalize font size

Beans
    Hidden!

The forum CoC has been updated since this thread was started. Please see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1299258
    Last edited by lisati; November 20th, 2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Make comment less cryptic
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog