Does anyone know how to get a built in dialup modem to work under Ubuntu?
I have the drivers for the modem - it's Ubuntu itself that isn't seeing it.
1. Ubuntu has no support for dialup (for goodness sake !!!)
2. To get support Gnome-Network-Manager seems to be required
ok so I use my win98 machine and transfer the sources by flash drive -
3. Dependencies are required
4. Dependencies need more dependencies
5. Some dependencies have bugs and simply don't compile
(eg. try a google for gettext-tools) 1 week running round in circles wasted. Try finding working binaries - no luck there either.
6. Repeatedly downloading various sources to attempt a working solution fails or at least I can't find a set of seps that both configures and makes.
Some config but dont make - others just dont make due to bugs.
Also I've discovered make is now case sensitive -
If anyone is having trouble compiling anything at all - try looking for the reported missing files and changing case (probably to upper - this seems widely problematic) I havn't even looked at a C program in 25 years so don't know how universal that is. Just thought the comment may help someone.
Can someone talk me through - ideally with links to where I can get the sources I need (all of them including deps) to get the modem working please? (No - the Ubuntu deps are bugged thats where I started)
I don't have broadband access.
I can only use dialup on win98 until I get the Linux laptop working
Without it Ubuntu is totally useless to me.