Thread: installing x64 Jaunty over x32

Beans

installing x64 Jaunty over x32

Gents:
    I recently (successfully) completed a "troubled build" of new AMD/MSI/9800gtx kit and installed Jaunty_9.04 generic x32 from a "factory" CD. It was the safe thing to do, and eventually I got a reasonably functioning UBUNTU. IT's updated already, and I've made a few additional entries using SYNAPTIC, but nothing I major ( like enabling NV drivers !!) .

But, I really wanted a x64 UBUNTU, and infact had previously DLoaded and cautiously burned a 9.04x64 "image" CD. I would like to (re)install UBUNTU using that x64 CD.

Do I stand any serious (unrecoverable) risk by (re)installing UBUNTU using my self-burned image disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: installing x64 Jaunty over x32

Why don't you try using your 64 bit CD as LiveCD to try it out with your hardware? If all things seem to work, then you can be assured that upon actually installing the OS, those things will work.

Beans

I have heard-the-phrase "Live CD" , but have no experience with it. Doing a UBUNTU-FORUM search produced more confusion.

What is it that you DO when you use a "live cd" motif ?

Beans

Basically a LiveCD, allows you to run the system from the disk, (CD/DVD rom, not Hard disk) without installing it. It (naturally) is slower, but is great for testing and recovery of Files etc.
    Therefore, if you boot using a LiveCD you can test your system capablity to run 9.04 64 bit, without having to install it.
    or better yet, wait till 9.10 comes out (end of the month) and try that one.
    chances are 9.10 will run better on your system.
    Hope this helps