Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Menus in kaffeine 1.0-pre2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

DVD Menus in kaffeine 1.0-pre2

I'm running the Kubuntu Karmic Koala beta. I've been playing dvd's with Kaffeine 1.0-pre2 and everything is good EXCEPT I can't figure out how to skip directly to the dvd menu, either from the endless "coming soon on dvd" nonsense or from inside the movie. I had no problem with this in 0.7, it the option was in the right-click popup. I haven't seen anyone else complaining about this, so I assume that I'm just missing something, but what?

I have libdvdcss, libdvdnav4, libdvdread4 installed. After the movie has ended and it goes to the menu, I can navigate around the menu fine, but I don't know how to go directly there.

Beans

Re: DVD Menus in kaffeine 1.0-pre2

I had the same problem. No DVD menu option, no way to get to them, the traditional 'D' keyboard shortcut didn't work. Also, there was no way to mount a folder containing DVD files.

I fooled with it a while and then said the hell with it, uninstalled 1.0-pre2, and went back to the 0.87 version shipped with Jaunty. It's at http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/am...feine/download if you want to go that route. Works fine for me.

Are you using KDE or Gnome? I'm using Gnome. Perhaps 1.0-pre2 just doesn't want to run without the full KDE desktop installed.

Beans

Am using Kubuntu and my situation is similar to yours. I have my DVD collection on a hard drive and use a remote control to watch the DVD:s on the TV screen:

1. How to start a DVD from a drive (rather than from a disk)
    2. Are there any keyboard shortcuts to navigate the DVD menu?

Beans

Shall I conclude that it is not at present possible to start a DVD from the hard disk? Also there are no possibility to use keyboard shortcuts to navigate the DVD menu? Correct?

Beans

Kaffeine in KDE 4 to me is junk, I would actually install totem, or smplayer, or VLC, or xine...
    All are much better players anyhow
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Thanks Sunny, I agree, actually thought all KDE4 wass junk, but recently I started to realize some benefits when I finally tried to get it going. One important benifit is the Folder View widget in my opinion.

I only used three KDE3 things: Konqueror, Kaffeine and Amarok. On all three I have experienced regression. I am now confident to use Konqueror again. Kaffeine I think is actually better now for DTV, but for DVD:s I now prefer VLC. Amarok started with mainly minuses compared to the old one, but now I feel there are some pluses as well. So I think we have to give the developers some time space.

Still I wish that I could play DVD:s from the hard disk and navigate the DVD menus with keyboard shortcuts (in my case using irxevent keyboard comands)

Beans

In another forum I have now learnt that I can start a DVD on the hard disk by entering the folder (kaffeine /path/ rather than kaffeine dvd:/path/ as in kaffeine with KDE3).

I still have not had any replies to my question how to navigate the DVD menu. Suppose I can use PageDown and PageUp to switch to the next/previous chapter, but that is not really using the DVD menu is it. So for now I prefer using VLC.

Beans

kaffeine dvd:///path/
    actually works best. Remains how to navigate the DVD menu using the keyboard?

Beans

Remains how to navigate the DVD menu using the keyboard?
    The same problem here. Some dvd menus work fine, but then others cannot be accessed with a mouse at all, so it's kind of sketchy. And if you can't do it with a mouse, you're out of luck with Kaffeine. No way to choose and access dvd menu entries with a keyboard AFAIK. Same with any other playback program really, some dvd menus just don't work.

Kaffeine version: 1.0-svn3 (using it on Ubuntu Linux Lucid Lynx 10.04)

Beans

Playback -> Toggle Menu
    Playback -> Title...
    Playback -> Chapter

These gives you some control on the dvd menus. With Playback -> Title I could access all the extras in a dvd by skipping the dvd menus altogether. All you get is a numbered list, but with a little bit try and search I could watch all the extras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast