Thread: Empathy does not have any icon in system tray. I lose the window from time to time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Empathy does not have any icon in system tray. I lose the window from time to time

Hi
    I started using empathy and something is missing here.
    When I launch empathy it start but it does not show any indication that it is running. I realize that it is running just when someone sends me a message :O.

To see the main window, I should run the application again which will cause the main window to be shown.

Is there any way to add a system tray icon to it? is it a known bug?

Thanks.
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Empathy does not have any icon in system tray. I lose the window from time to tim

I believe what you are looking for is the indicator applet. The envelope icon thats always in the panel. click on it and it lets you access your default/running IM client and email program.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Empathy does not have any icon in system tray. I lose the window from time to tim

If you want to add the icon back to the notification area, go into the preferences and uncheck 'Use message indicators'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the tip.
    As I use Thunderbird instead of Evolution the indicator applet is not of much use to me and I prefer to have empathy show up in the system tray instead.

Beans

Is there any way to have both the indicator applet and a system tray icon?
    Any other ways to customize more empathy? Any plugins?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jastonas View Post
    Is there any way to have both the indicator applet and a system tray icon?
    Any other ways to customize more empathy? Any plugins?
    When you enable the system tray, the indicator applet work as it was working before. at least I can not see a change in the way that indicator works before and after changing the empathy preferences.

I think there is almost no plugin for empathy. We should wait for some time before developers and advocates start developing plugins for empathy.
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fightingforspring View Post
    I believe what you are looking for is the indicator applet. The envelope icon thats always in the panel.
    Thanks! I spent so much time trying to figure this out. What a simple 'fix'. Just add an indicator applet.