Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Quote Originally Posted by e_torano View Post
    May I start by saying thanks for this ;D However, you missed out one essential part- you didn't install grub anywhere and hence when you reach the part that saying

sudo update-grub

nothing happens. You must first

sudo apt-get install grub

;D I didn't realise you'd missed this till I thought about it lol
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Yes, you do! We've created a backup anyway.

Now install legacy grub:

Code:

Code:
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

May I start by saying thanks for this ;D However, you missed out one essential part- you didn't install grub anywhere and hence when you reach the part that saying

sudo update-grub

nothing happens. You must first

;D I didn't realise you'd missed this till I thought about it lol
    Not quite sure who you're directing that to.

I go into almost painful detail, it's there!

Both installing the package and installing grub to the mbr.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Wooops, my bad lmao I'm very sorry. I looked through twice and completely missed it both times >.> Need to stop skim-reading stuff and read properly.

Beans

Wooops, my bad lmao I'm very sorry. I looked through twice and completely missed it both times >.> Need to stop skim-reading stuff and read properly.
    No problem. I actually did put a lot of thought into that regarding how much should be explained.

Certainly the added "explanations" detract from the needed commands, but I felt that I arrived at a reasonable "balance".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Thanks for the tutorial/howto. I've done it all, and rebooted, but I don't get the option screen from which to choose which os.

The machine simply goes straight into karmic, which is OK, 'cause that's what I use anyway, but where is the choice? I went through the effort to get a menu.lst, and I've got one, but it doesn't seem to be working....

I added a win xp line (just copied from yours, but it seemed right), and I have several kernel options (due to updates, etc), but I'm not offered a choice.

Any ideas?

At least it ain't broke, and I ain't missing xp, but would like the opportunity....

<a href="http://home2.btconnect.com/tipiglen/loveandpeace3.gif"><b>
    Salaam/Shalom/Shanthi/Peace</b></a>
    Namaste -ed
    Asus 1005HA CPU:N280 HDD:160G RAM:2G Ubuntu 10.04 and/or Mint 9

Also have decrepit Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 1845 [now half-bricked by upgrade ]
    知 者 不 言。言 者 不 知。

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Fixed it! I edited (commented out) the "hidden" option in the top part of the new menu.lst

Now working fine. Thanks again. Now to go and read up on grub2....
    just in case I decide I like it better
    Asus 1005HA CPU:N280 HDD:160G RAM:2G Ubuntu 10.04 and/or Mint 9

Also have decrepit Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 1845 [now half-bricked by upgrade ]
    知 者 不 言。言 者 不 知。

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    No problem. I actually did put a lot of thought into that regarding how much should be explained.

Certainly the added "explanations" detract from the needed commands, but I felt that I arrived at a reasonable "balance".
    Yeah, you did ;D I liked the fact you explained it all ^^ Just confused myself as usual.

Beans

Thanks for the tutorial. I have actually installed grub before, but it was nice to have all the steps outlined in one place.

I've found grub2 to be unstable and unpredictable. I have here two desktop machines running Karmic. On one machine, the option to not show a kernel menu on boot is ignored every time I get a grub update from update-manager, the result of the os-prober failing to properly handle an unused Jaunty kernel on /dev/sdc. So every time I get an update I have to physically disconnect /dev/sdc, run update-grub, then reconnect the drive. On the other machine, suddenly yesterday it wouldn't boot until I edited the boot parms to point at /dev/sda instead of the drive's UUID. I had to run update-grub to fix that, too.

Maybe grub2 will be ready for prime time when Lucid rolls around, but right now it doesn't look like an improvement.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks so much for this tut, I just successfully reverted. Maybe when grub2 is mature and there are actually tools for it like there are for grub, then I'll consider using it, till then its asinine to drop people into and say, oh this is the future, and well, people hated grub when it came out. Thats real fraking helpful, that in a years time there may be the tools available for grub2 that are as user friendly as there are for grub now. But WTF! do we do til then. Well, continue using grub

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pieguy View Post
    Thanks so much for this tut, I just successfully reverted. Maybe when grub2 is mature and there are actually tools for it like there are for grub, then I'll consider using it, till then its asinine to drop people into and say, oh this is the future, and well, people hated grub when it came out. Thats real fraking helpful, that in a years time there may be the tools available for grub2 that are as user friendly as there are for grub now. But WTF! do we do til then. Well, continue using grub
    I understand your frustration. Maybe I should change the intro to my HowTo a bit.

I just didn't want to try and convince someone to revert or vice versa. I'll give it some thought.

For that matter I still rather like lilo for thumb drives - call me retro

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast