Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub.

Quote Originally Posted by joachimbelmont View Post
    hey i know this is totally different to this but can anyone tell me how to create a thread???? im lost with this and i have may question to do about ubuntu
    Just click on the "New Thread" button here for Installations and Upgrades:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

or here for Absolute Beginners:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

Beans

Very useful, thanks, it's saved me time looking things up.

I have just installed Lucid and have to revert because as far as I can see there is now no way to pass kernel params via grub. Easy as with Grub Legacy. Just add in menu.lst

Now if the effort had been put into some better error handling. What does error 15 mean, or error 13.

Beans

Grub2 is more complicated that what it should be. Whereas in Grub1 all you had to do is edit menu.lst and all the options were there, in one spot, in Grub2 you have a multitude of scripts, with the options buried deep in them. All I wanted to do is require a password for booting into Windows, and a different password for editing boot parameters or booting into single user mode.

In Grub1, all I had to do was insert a couple of password lines in menu.lst and, presto!! I got it. I tried to do the same in Grub2, but gave up (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1369019). Too much hassle.

Beans

@ kwill & Corn Flake,

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. I'd been subscribed to this thread for a long time so replies would show up in my in-box but somehow that got goofed up.

Honestly grub2 should be much better in all but a very few corner situations. I obviously need to rewrite some of this and include recommendations to remedy some grub2 errors.

Should you decide to give grub2 another try it's quite simple, just look at Appendix #2 in the original post.

Beans

I've been noticing a few too many reports of trouble booting with Natty's grub2 so I'm just posting this to eliminate the need for typing a new post each time. The reports I've been seeing indicate they've already tried recovering grub2 the normal way and also purging and reinstalling grub2 via this guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

I've not been able to reproduce this on my own hardware so I've not yet figured out exactly what's wrong

Step #1:

The first thing to do is make sure that Ubuntu will boot so I recommend this disc:

http://www.bootproblems.com/super-grub2-disk/

The download link is at the bottom of the page. As it says there, "Super GRUB2 Disk can only be used to boot a broken system, it cannot fix it directly." But I prefer we use only Ubuntu tools and packages to fix Ubuntu's grub2 anyway!

I've found the "Detect any OS" option to work very reliably. Expect it to be slow, like maybe even a couple of minutes slow booting. Chances are that if that disc won't boot your Ubuntu you have other underlying problems so the rest of this guide is likely worthless to you!

So, only if the Super GRUB2 Disk gets you booted into Natty proceed with step #2:

Step #2:

Please copy-n-paste all commands.

Code:
    sudo mv /boot/grub /boot/grub_OLD
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /boot/grub
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub_OLD
    Code:
    sudo rm -R /etc/grub.d
    Some of the following commands will return a message like "not installed, so not removed" or "E: Unable to locate package", that's OK. You'll need to confirm removal of most packages by typing "y". (NOTE: It's also safe to reinstall 'grub-customizer', 'startupmanager', and 'ubuntu-tweak' after you know that grub 2 is restored and booting properly. But it is NOT safe to install the package 'grub'!) When you "purge grub-pc" you'll be asked if you're sure you want to remove all grub files so you'll have to confirm that by using the Tab key to select Yes.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove startupmanager
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove grub-customizer
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-tweak
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge grub
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge grub-pc
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge grub-common
    Reinstalling grub 2 would hopefully require only one command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc
    That will likely trigger a process that presents a few debconf windows similar to this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-5.jpg 
Views:	706 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	191329

Those windows are generally manipulated with the use of the Tab key, arrow keys, and to select/de-select "grub-install" devices you use the spacebar. You must know where you want to install grub!

If we're lucky that will boot now, if not move on to step #3 after the requisite amount of cursing and once again using the SGD2 disc.

Step #3: If you're here step #2 failed so we're going to try downgrading to Maverick grub packages, but grub packages are architecture dependent so we must know whether this is a 32bit or 64bit OS! To determine that run the command:

Code:
    uname -m
    The output i686 = 32bit so if you have a 32bit OS go to step #4!

The output x86_64 = 64bit so if you have a 64bit OS go to step #5!

Step #4, for 32bit OS's only:

Code:
    sudo rm -R /boot/grub
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /boot/grub
    Code:
    sudo rm -R /etc/default/grub
    Code:
    sudo rm -R /etc/grub.d
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    wget http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu//pool/main/g/grub2/grub-common_1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
    Code:
    wget http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu//pool/main/g/grub2/grub-pc_1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i grub-common_1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i grub-pc_1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3_i386.deb
    Again more debconf windows. When complete reboot. If that works then you'll want to keep those packages from upgrading:

Code:
    echo grub-common hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    Code:
    echo grub-pc hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    Step #5, For 64bit OS's only:

Code:
    sudo rm -R /boot/grub
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /boot/grub
    Code:
    sudo rm -R /etc/default/grub
    Code:
    sudo rm -R /etc/grub.d
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    wget http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu//pool/main/g/grub2/grub-common_1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    Code:
    wget http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu//pool/main/g/grub2/grub-pc_1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i grub-common_1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i grub-pc_1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    Again more debconf windows. When complete reboot. If that works then you'll want to keep those packages from upgrading:

Code:
    echo grub-common hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    Code:
    echo grub-pc hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    Step #6:

This is totally optional but I'd personally appreciate it if you'd participate in getting this bug fixed by reporting here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/778059

I'm wondering if it's hardware related so I think it would be very helpful to collect a hardware profile by running:

Code:
    sudo lshw > hardwareprofile.txt
    You'll then find a file in your home folder titled "hardwareprofile.txt", so if you'll go to that bug report, make a brief comment, and click on "Add attachment or patch" a new window will open and clicking on "Browse" will allow you to locate that file

General notes:

If you want or need to release the "hold" on those grub packages just run:

Code:
    echo grub-common install | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    Code:
    echo grub-pc install | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    Then of course run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Last edited by kansasnoob; May 7th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Beans

RESULTS_NEW.txt.gz

This is just a test

Beans

thanks kansasnoob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here is my scenario. I install Windows x64 in BIOS/MBR mode. I ran Live Natty to install Natty, but for some reasons, I cannot make it run in BIOS/MBR mode, so my Live USB boots in UEFI/GPT mode. Absolutely no BIOS setting to change from UEFI/BIOS mode, poor BIOS.

I can install Natty without a problem, but once I reboot, no grub showup and instead boot Windows directly.

One suggestion was to remove GRUB2 and replace with GRUB1, so I followed this procedure.

Already finished Natty install and still has not reboot yet. I don't want to reboot since grub does not show up and will just boot Windows instead.
    Normally, if I follow the procedure, the /boot/grub directory points to the Live USB, not the actual Linux partition that I just installed. I tried to change the address of the /boot/grub to something like /media/449b8b9e-027d-4272-9382-dc04fb43661/boot/grub to point to my Linux partition but I got errors.

QUESTION:
    Is it possible to revert Grub2 to Grub1 while I am at Live USB?
    i5-750/P55-UD3P/HD4850 1GB DDR3/4GB DDR3 A-Data Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Natty/Igelle 1.0.0 DSV /Windows7 x64 (for gaming)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ProNux View Post
    Here is my scenario. I install Windows x64 in BIOS/MBR mode. I ran Live Natty to install Natty, but for some reasons, I cannot make it run in BIOS/MBR mode, so my Live USB boots in UEFI/GPT mode. Absolutely no BIOS setting to change from UEFI/BIOS mode, poor BIOS.

I can install Natty without a problem, but once I reboot, no grub showup and instead boot Windows directly.

One suggestion was to remove GRUB2 and replace with GRUB1, so I followed this procedure.

Already finished Natty install and still has not reboot yet. I don't want to reboot since grub does not show up and will just boot Windows instead.
    Normally, if I follow the procedure, the /boot/grub directory points to the Live USB, not the actual Linux partition that I just installed. I tried to change the address of the /boot/grub to something like /media/449b8b9e-027d-4272-9382-dc04fb43661/boot/grub to point to my Linux partition but I got errors.

QUESTION:
    Is it possible to revert Grub2 to Grub1 while I am at Live USB?
    While running the Live USB can you run the Boot Info Script and post the results as described here:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

I'm also curious if your box has a CD/DVD drive. If so the Super GRUB2 Disk is a great tool to have on hand:

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

Note: the download link is at the very bottom of the page. It's not designed to "fix" anything but I've found that it can boot almost anything so it's a nice thing to have while working out boot problems

Creating a Super GRUB2 bootable USB drive currently requires the use of dd which can be quite complex and risky so I don't recommend that.

Regardless, the short answer to your question is yes. You can use a chroot from the Live USB to reconfigure grub, including changing from grub 2 to legacy grub. I mentioned it briefly here in post #1, Appendix #1, and included this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=10

But you must be certain to mount the proper partition, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, I may be unavailable for several hours, possibly 12 to 14 hours, so please be patient

If you can boot into Windows right now, doing so will cause no harm. In fact my greatest concern is proceeding in a manner that we know will not harm your existing Windows installation.

I'm also curious, but certainly unsure, if a better way of dealing with this might be to use EasyBCD since Windows boots OK?

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...mentation+Home

Should you decide to go that way we'd use a shorter version of a chroot to install Ubuntu's grub to it's own root partition and then let EasyBCD handle the boot process

It's really not incredibly complicated, only confusing when you haven't done it before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi kansasnoob.

Actually I've done SO MANY things for the past 2 weeks just making my dual boot work. The whole description is in the link below.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1753717

Starting from post #5, it's all regarding my notebook up to page 6. I think some of your future requests (if ever) are detailed in there already because I've done many experiments.
    Please try to visit that link.

I've dedicated one hard disk for this, so any request from you I am willing to do, especially if it's a new experiment. I've spent restless nights, nevertheless, I'm still willing to solve the problem. I can reformat the Windows partition anytime, I have a handful of resources - bootable USB sticks, various Linux ISOs, working Dual-boot desktop, external DVD, etc... so don't hesitate if we really need to try an experiment. I just want Dual-boot to work in my notebook.

I also have tried super grub2, BUT IT DOES NOT BOOT, instead, infinite loop after POST. It is also described in the link above.

For your request, I will post here again my boot info script result (which is also posted in that thread).

Current State:
    1. Installed Windows 7 HP x64; confirmed working
    2. Ran Natty Live USB
    3. Installed Natty alongside Windows 7
    4. Reboot. NO GRUB Menu. Proceeds to boot Windows like there is no other OS installed.
    4. Boot at "LUCID LYNX" Live USB (Due to Natty boot script bug)
    5. Result below.
    Code:
                      Boot Info Script 0.60    from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
     => Syslinux MBR (3.61-4.03) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7
        Boot sector info:   No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7
        Boot sector info:   No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  Windows 7
        Boot files:        /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda3: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       Extended Partition
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info:  

sda5: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
        Boot sector info:  
        Operating System:  Ubuntu 11.04
        Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab

sda6: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       swap
        Boot sector info:  

sdb1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
        Boot sector type:  SYSLINUX 4.03 2010-10-22 ........>..sr>..........8...0...~.....~...f...M.f.f....f..0~....>E}.u......
        Boot sector info:   Syslinux looks at sector 7390096 of /dev/sdb1 for its 
                           second stage. SYSLINUX is installed in the  directory. 
                           No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /syslinux.cfg /ldlinux.sys

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sda1    *          2,048       206,847       204,800   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda2             206,848   125,829,119   125,622,272   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda3         125,831,166   625,141,759   499,310,594   5 Extended
    /dev/sda5         125,831,168   609,200,127   483,368,960  83 Linux
    /dev/sda6         609,202,176   625,141,759    15,939,584  82 Linux swap / Solaris

Drive: sdb _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sdb: 4009 MB, 4009754624 bytes
    124 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1018 cylinders, total 7831552 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sdb1    *             62     7,826,383     7,826,322   b W95 FAT32

"blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL

/dev/loop0                                              squashfs   
    /dev/sda1        CEBAD848BAD82F29                       ntfs       System Reserved
    /dev/sda2        041A4F051A4EF2EA                       ntfs       
    /dev/sda5        283dec49-7d7e-4e40-8109-76e093551ed2   ext4       
    /dev/sda6        7d751e0b-ef91-4360-8ed3-204895ba2136   swap       
    /dev/sdb1        D87B-2965                              vfat       

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/loop0       /rofs                    squashfs   (ro,noatime)
    /dev/sdb1        /cdrom                   vfat       (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    set default="0"
    if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }

function recordfail {
      set recordfail=1
      if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }

function load_video {
      insmod efi_gop
      insmod efi_uga
      insmod video_bochs
      insmod video_cirrus
    }

insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(/dev/sda,msdos5)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 283dec49-7d7e-4e40-8109-76e093551ed2
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
      set gfxmode=auto
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
    set lang=en_US
    insmod gettext
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
      set timeout=-1
    else
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
    if background_color 44,0,30; then
      clear
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    if [ ${recordfail} != 1 ]; then
      if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
        if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
          if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
            set linux_gfx_mode=keep
          else
            set linux_gfx_mode=text
          fi
        else
          set linux_gfx_mode=text
        fi
      else
        set linux_gfx_mode=keep
      fi
    else
      set linux_gfx_mode=text
    fi
    export linux_gfx_mode
    if [ "$linux_gfx_mode" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	recordfail
    	set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=283dec49-7d7e-4e40-8109-76e093551ed2 ro   quiet splash vt.handoff=7
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
    }
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    	recordfail
    	set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	echo	'Loading Linux 2.6.38-8-generic ...'
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=283dec49-7d7e-4e40-8109-76e093551ed2 ro single 
    	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	linux16	/boot/memtest86+.bin
    }
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	linux16	/boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" --class windows --class os {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ntfs
    	set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
    	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root CEBAD848BAD82F29
    	chainloader +1
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    if [ -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ================================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
    # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=283dec49-7d7e-4e40-8109-76e093551ed2 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=7d751e0b-ef91-4360-8ed3-204895ba2136 none            swap    sw              0       0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

104.126224518 = 111.804682240  boot/grub/grub.cfg                             1
      60.155155182 = 64.591106048   boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic               2
     202.131351471 = 217.036886016  boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic                  1
      60.155155182 = 64.591106048   initrd.img                                     2
     202.131351471 = 217.036886016  vmlinuz                                        1

============================== sdb1/syslinux.cfg: ==============================

default menu.c32

prompt 0

menu title UNetbootin

timeout 100

label unetbootindefault

menu label Default

kernel /ubnkern

append initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --

label ubnentry0

menu label ^Help

kernel /ubnkern

append initrd=/ubninit 

label ubnentry1

menu label ^Try Ubuntu without installing

kernel /casper/vmlinuz

append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper  quiet splash --

label ubnentry2

menu label ^Install Ubuntu

kernel /casper/vmlinuz

append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity  quiet splash --

label ubnentry3

menu label ^Check disc for defects

kernel /casper/vmlinuz

append initrd=/casper/initrd.lz boot=casper integrity-check  quiet splash --

label ubnentry4

menu label Test ^memory

kernel /install/mt86plus

append initrd=/ubninit 

label ubnentry5

menu label ^Boot from first hard disk

kernel /ubnkern

append initrd=/ubninit 

================= sdb1: Location of files loaded by Syslinux: ==================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

?? = ??             ldlinux.sys                                    1
                ?? = ??             menu.c32                                       1
                ?? = ??             syslinux.cfg                                   1

============== sdb1: Version of COM32(R) files used by Syslinux: ===============

menu.c32                           :  COM32R module (v4.xx)

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdc
    To give you a quick overview, hence:
    1. Notebook is Fujitsu PH521 AMD E-350, 8GB RAM
    2. BIOS: SecureCore Tiano, latest version (1.16)
    3. Absolutely NO menu at BIOS to select UEFI or BIOS boot
    4. OEM installed Win 7 HP x64 in BIOS/MBR mode (already set aside this hard disk)
    5. Fresh Windows installation defaults to BIOS/MBR mode
    6. Natty Live boots in UEFI/GPT mode
    7. Installing Natty alongside Windows went fine. First reboot after install: No GRUB menu, just boots Windows directly.
    8. Installing Natty "alone" is working, BUT no GRUB after post; just boots directly to Ubuntu.

As for the detailed actions/tests I have done, "please" refer to that thread, my apology. I think it would be easier if we continue on that thread, so this thread is only dedicated to GRUB2 to GRUB1 reversion, just a suggestion.

At this point, I'll depend on you which one is to try first then this and that. I'm not a Linux expert but I think can follow instructions well, and I've installed dual boot PCs /NBs many times since Hardy.

If we go the Easy BCD way, so be it. It's almost 2 AM, hopefully we can continue tomorrow. Thanks.
    Last edited by ProNux; September 30th, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
    i5-750/P55-UD3P/HD4850 1GB DDR3/4GB DDR3 A-Data Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Natty/Igelle 1.0.0 DSV /Windows7 x64 (for gaming)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast