Thread: Error 15 At startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Error 15 At startup

Hey guys, having a problem booting my computer in Jaunty, or any OS for that matter.

Let me start from the beginning.

I did a dual boot on my computer that had XP with Ubuntu, went great everything worked fine. I started getting an error in update manager so I opened up the package manager to see what was wrong like it told me, but unfortunately my ride to school arrived and I just locked the screen and left for school at 6am. I came home looking forward to fix this problem only to find that my brother had tried to boot windows by holding the power button down and now when I boot either OS I get one of these:

Ubuntu:
    Error 15: File Not Found
    Press any key to continue...
    (Reverts to OS select menu)

Windows XP
    BSOD- Unmountable drive, Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

So Im not really sure what exactly happened but I would greatly appreciate any insight to how this happened, and how to fix it.

Im fairly new to Ubuntu so a noob friendly explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Edit: Im able to boot up in the "Try Ubuntu without installing" mode off the live disc, what should I do now to find the problem?
    Edit2: Booted at LiveCD and reinstalled grub according to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ecovering-grub
    Edit3: NTLDR Is Missing Error.
    Last edited by CodeTBone; October 27th, 2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro

Re: Error 15 At startup

Bump.

Beans
    Distro

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Have you tried booting linux from a live cd?

Might let you examine the disk using gparted and checkout grub settings so you have a better idea of what the problem is.
    (\../)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Hidden!

looks like (at the very least) grub is messed up. Could be more to it than that as well.

Anyway as posted above, boot a livecd. If the hard drive is mountable, then try reinstalling grub (google on it). With a lot of luck that would solve both ubuntu and xp problems, but i wouldnt bet on it.

Beans
    Distro

Im able to boot up in the "Try Ubuntu without installing" mode off the live disc, what should I do now to find the problem?

Beans
    Distro

Edit: Updated post.