Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: torrent files

Beans

torrent files

Why do my torrent downloads show as separate files after completion? What if I want to burn to disc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: torrent files

Not sure what you mean. If you download 2 files over bittorrent, of course they will appear as 2 different files. What did you expect?

If you want to download a disk image (eg .iso) then download an .iso file.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

In my previous life (windows) using bittorrent when I finished downloading a film for instance it became a film (1 file) but I've just downloaded a film (free to download in torrent form) and it shows as 14 separate files?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What format was this video file in before you downloaded it (.avi, .mp4 etc)? And what format are these 14 separate files in?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

I don't remember, it was from a link from a security post in these forums, a film called "insecurity", low budget hacker flic I believe, so is this behaviour unusual?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by karmicgaz View Post
    I don't remember, it was from a link from a security post in these forums, a film called "insecurity", low budget hacker flic I believe, so is this behaviour unusual?
    I've never encountered such behaviour before; and I've got quite a lot of video over bittorrent in the past. Can you take a look at the 14 files you ended up with and tell us what format they are in? You can do this by right-clicking on the file and selecting Properties.

The reason I ask: it's possible the video has come in a number of archives (eg a number of .rar files) which you can rebuild with Ubuntu's archive manager.

EDIT: Is this the video you mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Perhaps you downloaded a film that was compressed and splitted up in 14 parts? In that case just open file 1, enter the password (if there's any) and unpack the film as a single file.
    "It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be." -Albus Dumbledore
    Flickr - tumblr - Last.fm - PGP-Key - Blog

Beans

ok, that is the film, and when I click on the first file the whole film plays so I can watch it, and as I have no intention of burning it to disc there is no problem now. Maybe there will be next time, I'm currently downloading another torrent for testing. Hopefully all will go well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just did a quick search the two torrents I found were split using rar. Just right click the first file, and select extract here, it will create a single avi file for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by karmicgaz View Post
    ok, that is the film, and when I click on the first file the whole film plays so I can watch it, and as I have no intention of burning it to disc there is no problem now. Maybe there will be next time, I'm currently downloading another torrent for testing. Hopefully all will go well.
    I hope so too. As I already said, I've never encountered this before; but as the video plays okay when you click on the first file I guess that's how it's supposed to work.

Any more problems, you know where we are!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast