Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 freezes after 10-20 mins.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 freezes after 10-20 mins.

ok, so where do we go from here? Has anyone else tried KDE with success? can we narrow this down to a gnome issue?

Beans

Same problem here mouse moves but system freezes. If computer is left alone and scrrensaver comes on no sign of mouse, have to hard restart. While using computer system will freeze and screensaver wont come on but will be able to move mouse. Tried removing compiz from package manager, no luck. dell sx260 with pentium4 and intel graphics.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have the same problem (X freezes, but not the mouse) since upgrading to 9.04 and now still in 9.10...

Have a look in those two pages, it might help :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/IntelDriver

Beans

ok, according to the info from the link, when the caps lock key blinks, then this is a kernel failure! So mine must be a kernel failure.

What next?

Beans

actually, after i installed everything the panel frooze. I was able to do anything else but werent able to click anything from the panel.
    weired....

now it works again. perhaps random freeze.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gbrethen View Post
    ok, according to the info from the link, when the caps lock key blinks, then this is a kernel failure! So mine must be a kernel failure.

What next?
    Same Here

Toshiba A305 laptop. 9.10 AMD64 release.

Fresh install, worked fine, rebooted once all.

I configured my linkstation (SMBFS, CIFS) and updated fstab.

Reboot, cap lock key flashes. I saw once some message about CIFS so I commented out those lines in the fstab, to no avail. I am not sure how to remove smbfs when I can't get the system to run ...

I can boot from live cd just fine, so it has to be something I 'turned on'. I also enabled the restricted driver for the ATI card as well.. Not much else...

I just noticed that my GRUB screen never appears? It flashes and just goes away so I can't even try a 'failsafe' boot...hmmmm

Oh well...

*** UPDATE ***

Ok I figured the grub thing out, if you hold down the Shift key you get the menu, so no problem there. I have been able to get the machine (Toshiba Laptop A305) with no issues. It seems to be the restricted driver for the ATI card is the issue that is causing the Kernel Panic (Flashing Caps Lock Key). I have reloaded a couple times, and have decided it's not SMBFS (CIFS), or any other things. As long as I don't update that restricted driver it seems to be just fine. Sound works well too. Wireless does seem to be slow but only for UBUNTU stuff/updates? I can assume it's due to demand, etc.. As I did a quick Torrent download and it seems to be going at close to normal speed.

So for now it is working, and I am happy...
    Last edited by rp3; November 1st, 2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Update 11-1-09
    Rp White III
    blog.rpzkingdom.com
    My Pictures
    Linux User #488774

Beans

I've had the same problema here, system freezes about 10 seconds started...

Someone found the fix for the problem?

Here is my hardware:

description: Motherboard
    product: PW-945GCX
    vendor: PCWARE

description: BIOS
    vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
    physical id: 0
    version: 080012 (04/02/2008)
    size: 64KiB
    capacity: 448KiB

description: CPU
    product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    physical id: 4
    bus info: cpu@0
    version: 6.15.13
    serial: 0000-06FD-0000-0000-0000-0000
    slot: CPU 1
    size: 1203MHz
    capacity: 1203MHz
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 200MHz

Thanks!!!

Beans

acutally my freeze is gone. Could not tell why, its just gone and the system works now. weird.

Beans

i'm also having freeze problems on my Dell Latitude 620with core 2 duo t5600, 2 gb ram, intel graphics, broadcom network, intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wifi

IT hits randomly, everything freezes, can't move mouse etc. have to do hard reset. I have tried both ubuntu 9.10 and kubuntu 9.10. same thing as to freezes

When it stops responding, there are small blue lines on the screen, like the contours of a window about to be opened or moved.

regards

Kaare
    Last edited by kaarecc; November 1st, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Beans

I am having the same problem and can provide a bit more detail. My laptop is a pretty old one - Toshiba A45 S151, P4 2.8GHz, 1GB ram etc.

I was running kubuntu since 8.10 and then gradually upgraded to 9.04 - up to that point everything was fine. When I went to 9.10 I started getting freezes at random times - like most people said on this thread usually 10-20 minutes after booting on average... but it could be 2 minutes after booting as well sometimes.

After this, I decided to dump the whole kubuntu 9.04 system and downloaded and installed ubuntu 9.10 hoping that it might have been something I had set up over the last 6 months or so or something specific to 9.10 kubuntu distro. At first I went 20-30 minutes without a freeze so thought it got fixed but it didn't turn out to be the case. Sure enough I got another freeze. And then another one.. etc...

The freezes seem to be just X crashing as mouse still moves, hard disk seems to have activity and I think everything else seems to work in the background. Sometimes if I am playing something on VLC, the picture freezes but the sound of the vid keeps playing.

HELP!

A.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast