Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Sound sometimes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No Sound sometimes

I have a dell inspiron laptop and seem to be having a problem with my sound. Sometimes it works and sometimes it dont. Not sure what info is needed, but here is a screenshot of available mixers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If it ain't broken don't fix it", Just break it so you have to fix it!

Dell Optiplex Gx270 P4 2.40 ghz 1.5 gb Nvidia GEforce 440 64 megs. (Lappy, Dell inspiron 1440 dual core 4 megs)

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: No Sound sometimes

I use alsa. Try opening a terminal and

Code:
    alsamixer
    Then set your sound up. Make sure nothing is muted. Then exit and type:

Code:
    sudo alsactl store

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well there is nothing muted in alsamixer, also when I (do) have sound, the volume control in the panel does not seem to control the volume, only volume keys on keyboard control it. I have gone over the settings when I have sound and don't have sound (all are the same) Volume devices tend to confuse me when choosing between "pulse audio, hda intel alsa mixer, idt oss mixer" Witch normally don't have to, all just set to autodetect w/ no problems (normally). Is there possibly a sound property in bios I might want to disable? I did have to do that with my desktop, only because it has onboard and a pci card. Would'nt think that would be the case here though.

Dell Optiplex Gx270 P4 2.40 ghz 1.5 gb Nvidia GEforce 440 64 megs. (Lappy, Dell inspiron 1440 dual core 4 megs)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

one more bump attempt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

IF you have two apps using sound, they won't work together, only the first sound app will work. This is if you are using Open Sound System. To get the other app to work., close both apps, and restart the other.

Or use a different sound type. I don't know of any other method.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Living2007 View Post
    IF you have two apps using sound, they won't work together, only the first sound app will work. This is if you are using Open Sound System. To get the other app to work., close both apps, and restart the other.

Or use a different sound type. I don't know of any other method.
    I find, on my Dell desktop PC, that this sometimes happens with other sound systems than OSS. I have sound except when I have visited a web site with a flash plugin which has sound. Then nothing else can talk to the sound card until the browser is closed.

I'd suspect that something like this is happening in this case, because the sound is intermittent. If something is blocking access to the soundcard for other processes, the easiest way to find it is to use lsof and grep the output to pick up the sound device you're using. Something like lsof | grep "/dev/dsp".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well I really am at a loss. Been a few reboots now and no sound at all. Running tests from sound properties seems ok "testing" but no sound. I've checked everywhere I know to make sure nothing is muted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello Feelin_froggy8877,

I'm no expert by any means, so I'm not sure if this will apply to you. I've noticed over the years of using Linux, that with my Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZX sound card, occasionally I'll boot up and have no sound. And the solution is to go into the "Volume Control", click on the "Switches" tab, and either check mark or un-check mark the "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack". And that fixes the problem. Give it a try.

GiveLove

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I do appreciate the reply, But I to have had to do that with my desktop w/ a SB card, But w/ this lappy I have no such tab for switches for my intel sound. That was one of the first things I looked for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast