Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Sound sometimes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: No Sound sometimes

After looking through some other sound problem posts, I noticed that people were having troubles after certain updates. I attempted to boot into previous kernals w/ a lil hope, but no luck. On the verge of just doing a reinstall and start from scratch.
    "If it ain't broken don't fix it", Just break it so you have to fix it!

Dell Optiplex Gx270 P4 2.40 ghz 1.5 gb Nvidia GEforce 440 64 megs. (Lappy, Dell inspiron 1440 dual core 4 megs)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok,went ahead and did a complete reinstall w/ a fresh Ubuntu iso and new disk. I was actually having trouble with booting the iso, (nautilus would always crash on me) using the live cd. Never really had a problem w/ the install though. Either way, no luck, didnt get sound on first boot up or after updates.

Dell Optiplex Gx270 P4 2.40 ghz 1.5 gb Nvidia GEforce 440 64 megs. (Lappy, Dell inspiron 1440 dual core 4 megs)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Feelin_froggy8877 View Post
    I do appreciate the reply, But I to have had to do that with my desktop w/ a SB card, But w/ this lappy I have no such tab for switches for my intel sound. That was one of the first things I looked for.
    Don't know if this will help, but I've thought this too when following similar suggestioins - and then discovered that I needed to click on "Preferences" in the volume control to ensure that this tab is visible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

looked through a bit more, nothing. btw, this bites.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Downloaded the 1.08.19 alsa version and configured from source and no help. I been through setting so much I'm going cross eyed. I'll keep searching for solutions and report any if any fixes, please, If any1 has any suggestions let me know. Thanx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hello Feelin_froggy8877,

I don't have any concrete answers for you. But here is some ideas...

Well Ubuntu 9.10 comes out in one day. You could always try installing that new version and see if it makes a difference. You never know. Particularly if it is newer hardware, you might have a better chance of it working correctly.

By the way, is your sound card listed as supported in Alsa?
    http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

Another idea is to ditch Ubuntu and try another distribution. How about Debian, or CentOS for stable distro's? Or Fedora, or Linux Mint that fall into the testing branches of code much like Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is newer hardware. For a change,never had any problems w/ sound till now. Benn using Ubuntu for a while now, and have grown quite used to it. But thanx for the ideas, willing to try anything, cant have a comp w/ no sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: No Sound sometimes (solved)

Upgraded to 9.10. And (so far so good, so what) ha "Iron Maiden" Anyway, Must've been an issue w/ the newer intel sound. I'm pretty much stuck on Ubuntu. Especially for the new lappy (wubi install) Not quite ready to go partitioning the hhd yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12