Thread: Run Ubuntu fully in RAM.

Beans

Run Ubuntu fully in RAM.

Hi,

I ran a search on my question through the forums, but couldn't find an answer, so I'll ask it here.

My question: is it possible to load Ubuntu fully in RAM?

For example, I boot the LiveCD, then install and run everything straight from RAM, without ever having to load bits and pieces (e.g. the apps, when I open them) from the LiveCD anymore.

The reason I'm asking this: I have an old laptop; its motherboard had some problems, and cannot recognize hard-drives. If any hard-drives are slotted in, the computer jams up when the BIOS screen ends. Surprisingly, however, my computer can run operating systems that are loaded in RAM. (However, since my laptop does not support bootable USB, any operating systems must be loaded from a CD.)

If anyone's wondering, the laptop has about 1.25 GB of RAM. It would be great if this is enough, but if it isn't, is a 4GB thumbdrive of any help here? And would Kubuntu be a better alternative, if Ubuntu is too heavy for my computer?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans

Re: Run Ubuntu fully in RAM.

So, that's a Knoppix distribution I should pursue?

Also, on the 'BootToRam' method, I am completely lost. Do I customize all those settings before or after I start the LiveCD?
    Last edited by alaekiefer; October 22nd, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Run Ubuntu fully in RAM.

Well I only googled for a few minutes, but it seems quite difficult to achieve what you want with xbuntu, where its already implemented in Knoppix (and perhaps other distro's)