Thread: .sav file

Beans

.sav file

Hi all!

I'm quite new at this Ubuntu-desktop-stuff (I'm using 8.04 LTS) and so far doing great!

Although, there is just one problem. I'm a student at an University i Aalborg, Denmark. I need to access data stored in a .sav file. After searching the Internet, the solution opening the .sav file in a hexeditor, should do the job - but with no luck. So, does anyone know a solution for me?

Sincerely,
    Jacii

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: .sav file

If that is an SPSS datafile, then you have at least two options: PSPP http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/get.html and R package foreign.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Or you may want to install the proprietary SPSS for linux software, if you have a licence from your university. However in this community the open-source alternatives are generally preferred (PSPP, R). PSPP is almost fully compatible with SPSS, but it has limited functionality in terms of statistical algorithms. R is a very powerful tool, but you should invest to learn it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is copious documentation on how to use the foreign package to open a .sav file using R. But, if you get stuck there are plenty of people here who can help you out.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.