Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disk usage outside design parameters

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Disk usage outside design parameters

I see no forum posts on this issue. Testing 9.10 beta on my dell Mini 9 (4GB SSD; stock from Dell) I'm getting an error message and icon:
    DISK IS BEING USED OUTSIDE DESIGN PARAMETERS
    Has anyone else encountered this error?

J.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Disk usage outside design parameters

i think its that ubuntu expects you to have ~4.5 GB free,

are you using the netbook version?

Beans

Yes, I'm seeing it on my Asus Eee PC, with 4Gb SSD 'Hard Disk'. The advanced is showing a 'Read Error Rate' warning. I've only seen this message since installing Ubuntu 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Meow27 View Post
    i think its that ubuntu expects you to have ~4.5 GB free,

are you using the netbook version?
    I am not using the UNR version, I didn't care for the 9.04 version but maybe I'll have to try the 9.10 UNR.
    I guess with Ubuntu size does matter.
    J.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by anyusername View Post
    Yes, I'm seeing it on my Asus Eee PC, with 4Gb SSD 'Hard Disk'. The advanced is showing a 'Read Error Rate' warning. I've only seen this message since installing Ubuntu 9.10.
    Yes. I've had Ubuntu 9.04 installed for some time and no issues/warnings like this before 9.10 beta install (which is the first 9.10 install I've tried on my mini.)
    J.

Beans

Disc usage is crazy bad right now:

lance@lance-desktop:~$ df -H
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3 6.3G 4.7G 1.4G 78% /
    udev 1.1G 279k 1.1G 1% /dev
    none 1.1G 115k 1.1G 1% /dev/shm
    none 1.1G 95k 1.1G 1% /var/run
    none 1.1G 0 1.1G 0% /var/lock
    none 1.1G 0 1.1G 0% /lib/init/rw
    /dev/sda10 11G 1.6G 8.7G 16% /home
    I haven't yet figured out why but I suspect something to do with the "headers" updates earlier today, and I'd expect to see this resolve itself through updates very soon - probably with a kernel update to -12.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Another ASUS EEE 4G (701) Using UNR 9.10 with this error here. Although I am concerned that the error message is not a mistake. It is possibly a problem with ext4 as my girlfriend with another ASUS EEE does not have the same problem after keeping her ext3fs since Ubuntu8.

Can anyone else confirm this? Is there a conflict between small flash devices and ext4?
    Never behave as your enemy expects.
    Personal Homepage - YouTube Videos

Beans

Yes, I'm being presented with the same error while running a liveUSB of UNR Karmic Beta (i386) on a Dell Mini 9 with a 4GB SSD.

This SSD currently has UNR Jaunty (i386) on it. The Mini, of course, shipped with Dell's Ubuntu (lpia). The UNR (i386) install seemed to take up less space than Dell's install. My usage was about 70% after the UNR install, and I've filled it up to 90%.

Anyway, yes, I had no reason to suspect I would be having these alarming-looking S.M.A.R.T. errors in red, the tone of which is roughly "OMG copy all your stuff off of this disk NOW, it's about to goooooooooo"

It says to "Backup all data and replace the disk" and lists several numbered attributes that it says are failing. Not the best introduction to Ubuntu, perhaps. Or maybe all our Mini 9 4GBs are failing now. What do you think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had this also on a 701, one time. I checked my power manager options, and there unchecked the "stop hard drive when possible" option on the "on battery" tab (not sure for the words, as my Karmic is in french, but you get the idea). That seamed to solve the issue, but can't be sure because i gave the eee to a friend right after that and have no news about it.

Same error here with my 9.10 Beta install, EeePC 701, 4GB solid state drive, installed via USB key with the UNR recommended partition allocation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast