Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Look of Firefox 4.0 - possibly

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: New Look of Firefox 4.0 - possibly

Quote Originally Posted by geoken View Post
    I just did that after reading the first guy post this. I quickly concluded that anyone who thinks this mockup looks 'just like' Opera 10 also must think KDE 4 looks just like Windows 3.1.
    Perhaps my post was a rash response to the blatant fanboyism prevalent in this thread. Fair enough, this mockup does not look just like Opera.

There's much attention given to Firefox that I think is undeserved. It's frustrating for me to see the "underdog," one of my favorite free software projects, get so little coverage. Opera was a pioneer in a lot of ways. Naturally, some elements are going to get copied or borrowed in other applications.

Perhaps I'm letting my feelings get in the way, here.

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Not to mention saying Firefox is obsolete next to Opera. That was a funny one.
    Well, I haven't noticed Firefox blazing new trails in web browsing. Ever. Find something cool that Firefox can do? 90% of the time there's a way to do it in Opera, without the third-party extension. Fx is buggy, Fx is slow, Fx crashes on me more often than Opera.

Firefox 3 was buggy for months after the initial release came out. I installed Opera 10 just a couple days after the release and have had no problems whatsoever.
    Last edited by lespaul_rentals; October 22nd, 2009 at 02:47 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lespaul_rentals View Post
    blatant fanboyism prevalent in this thread.
    Where ?

Perhaps I'm letting my feelings get in the way, here.
    Maybe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Perhaps my post was a rash response to the blatant fanboyism prevalent in this thread. Fair enough, this mockup does not look just like Opera.

There's much attention given to Firefox that I think is undeserved. It's frustrating for me to see the "underdog," one of my favorite free software projects, get so little coverage. Opera was a pioneer in a lot of ways. Naturally, some elements are going to get copied or borrowed in other applications.
    Did I miss something? Since when is Opera open source?
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

Firefox can be easily customized to maximize the display area (and there's always F11).

I could also hide the status bar, but I find it useful enough to keep it visible.
    Last edited by PhilGil; October 22nd, 2009 at 03:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would highly suggest that more users go download Opera and give it a try. It renders Firefox obsolete, in my humble opinion.
    Chrome, even in its current beta state, is noticeably faster than Opera (on both my netbook and my desktop, your mileage may vary). Once the normal version (not just the dev build) allows extensions and the non-Windows versions are released, I am pretty sure it'll gain market share quickly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Side tabs make a big difference. Look for tree style tabs in Mozilla Add-ons and you won't go back. You'll also never be able to use any other browser again muahahahahah!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I would highly suggest that more users go download Opera and give it a try. It renders Firefox obsolete, in my humble opinion.
    hmm... strange I can't seem to find a hysterical laughter smiley. opera is the slowest, most unusable browser I have ever used in my entire life. I refuse to ever touch that garbage again.

Beans

I really need to keep an open mind to this. I was going through a phase where I was kinda fed up with Mozilla for not putting in what I considered to be "enough effort" and just giving us a lazy, slow version of what can be quite a slow and ugly browser compared to Chrome anyway (IMO). However, if they really are trying and they're putting in work then I will cautiously start paying attention again

All I want is a Firefox that runs fast, if it competes with Chrome and at least matches it, then I will probably still choose Mozilla over Google

I'll certainly be keeping my eye on FF 4, as it does look pretty awesome from the screenshots!
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Try out vimperator
    this.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by geoken View Post
    Here is how it looks with the Windows glass portion disabled. It still looks good IMO.

I took one with the tabs on top and one in the classic position.

Attachment 132673
    The tabs on top don't blend with the window decoration so it kinda beats the purpose of having tabs on top. Pity, I really liked the mockups.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast