Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: gptsync: GPT partition of type 'Unknown' found, will not touch this disk.

Beans

Re: gptsync: GPT partition of type 'Unknown' found, will not touch this disk.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesixgun View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm unaware of a fix without a complete wipe and reinstall. If one exists, I hope someone will correct me.
    I've posted before in this thread, but people seem to be ignoring me. My own GPT fdisk (gdisk) package can create hybrid MBRs with a great deal of flexibility. It should be possible to use it to fix any problems that are caused by corrupt hybrid MBRs. Please review my earlier posts for additional details and other suggestions, and read my hybrid MBR Web page for information on hybrid MBRs generally and on how to create them in gdisk. Note, however, that I don't have a dual-booting Intel-based Apple Macintosh, so I have no first-hand experience with this specific problem.

Beans

It appears that the dual mac/ubuntu instructions are incorrect. They tell you to install Grub to sda3. the "bug" in the installer appears to create a separate partition for Grub rather than installing it on the linux partition itself. So it installs grub on a 917kb partition with no format. Hence the error from GPT.

I booted into my livecd, deleted sda3(917Kb grub partition), got into my ubuntu installation, reinstalled grub, ran the partition manager from refit, and now it works fine.

I am going to reinstall again, and tell it to load GRUB on sda4 and see what happens.

Edit- going to try reinstalling again if doing system updates causes a GRUB loop again, otherwise, I'm not going to fix whats not broken.
    Last edited by pclark36; June 10th, 2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: changed my mind :P

Beans

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this sort of stuff, but umm I got everything working, all the steps work except that i cant save gptsync.deb in the /mnt/root folder.

It says I don't have permission to do so. Anyone know what to do?

Beans

bump?

somebody? all i need help with is getting permissions to change one file!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

use sudo
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I had what I believe is a similar problem after installing Oneiric (alpha and beta). I was seeing the gptsync error (in refit):
    Error: Not Found returned from gptsync.efi

I was able to fix it quite easily using gptsync. Here are the steps I took to fix it and here is a dump of my old tables and the new hybrid MBR.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678