Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBOX 360 or PS3

Beans

Re: XBOX 360 or PS3

If u want to play, i would say PS3 cause it has better exclusives and has less technical problems than the XBOX 360.
    For watching movies : PS3 cause of blu-ray
    Picture quality and Performance of games are identical : on some games XBOX 360 wins and on others PS3 does.
    About the price...PS3 slim and XBOX 360 elite have the same price, but if u want to play online on both PS3 will not charge u anything while XBOX 360 will charge u about 50 bucks a year.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've had both systems and I really don't think there is one definite winner as to which you should buy. It's all preference...

What I suggest you do is look at the exclusives and see which platform has the most that you really want to play and simply can not get on the other. They're the only real meaningful difference between the two consoles as far as I'm concerned.

Other stuff that might not be that meaningful but I feel like mentioning:

-I found the 360's controller to be a bit more intuitive and comfortable than the PS3's. Then again, I'm sure you've held a PS2 controller, so if you had no problem with it, you'll be fine with the PS3's.

- As 569874123 mentioned, the 360 does have a fee for their online service (Well, the gold package which is what you need to play online) and the PS3 doesn't. It's around $50 a year, and from my experience the Xbox Live community was a bit more social with more people using voice chat and trying to communicate.

The PS3 does have the option to install Linux (or perhaps other OSs as well), so you might want to consider that it could rather easily be turned to a perfect media center PC once it's served it's purpose as a gaming console.

Beans
    Distro

I just made this same decision a few weeks ago. I had always been a playstation guy but I went with the XBOX. I was going to get the elite but I didn't need the extra hard drive space (60 GB was enough for me) and with the money I saved I was able to get 2 more games. The BluRay player was also not necessary. I am using it strictly for games. I also don't mind having to pay the $5 a month for online gaming since the XBOX live community is superior to Sony's in my opinion. The exclusive games are what pushed me into the XBOX. I'm sure you will have fun with either of the consoles.

Beans
    Hidden!

search all the games you like first, because each of them have also 'specialty genres' so choosing the games you like would be a better approach. as for your movie loving habit, ps3 would be a good choice, but also lacks some extra bluray player functionalities, so its still better to have separate devices.

personally, i would buy the 360, as more of the games i like are there, then eventually i will also buy a ps3...=)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I agree with the prior statement that it really is a matter of preference, however there are some big big differences between the two

the ps3 supports full high deffinition(1080p as opposed to 720p supported by the xbox), which if you have the tv to support it is no less than amazing and to my knowledge theres are less hardware/software issues with the ps3. on the otherhand the xbox360 has a slightly more impressive game library (including mass effect, my fav of this generation)

my xbox redlighted on me about a year ago so i admitt i am a little out of touch on the xbox, but considering that microsoft has done little to fix the hardware failure and that i would rather play Final Fantasy 13 on the ps3 (if nothing else to help with the load times and to condense the game to one disk).

Beans
    Distro

I'd go with PS3 for the Blu-ray and the free online play and the game genre variety.

All 360 pushes is shooters and the occasional multi-platform indie game.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Beans

Xbox 360!

Beans

well untill the ps3 lowers its prices again maybe

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Koosti View Post
    The PS3 does have the option to install Linux (or perhaps other OSs as well)
    That option is not available on the slim PS3s.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by noerrorsfound View Post
    That option is not available on the slim PS3s.

the ps3 has changed options like that numerous time since its release, you never know it could come back.

i'd like them to bring back the backwards compatibility but im not counting on it ow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast