Thread: GRUB does not list Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

GRUB does not list Windows

I know, is that really a problem or has my PC seen the light? LOL, it actually is a problem for me, even more since Ubuntu fails to load. Here's the story...

I have a PC with two hard disk drives. /dev/sda is mainly for data, whereas /dev/sdb is where Windows was installed. I installed Karmic in /dev/sdb (correctly setting partitions, right) from the alternate CD (the normal installer did not work, but that's another story), and in the last step it asked me if I wanted to install GRUB in the MBR of my first drive. I said OK, but it looks like the system loads from the second drive, so when booting up Windows was automatically loaded and I could not request for Linux.

I reinstalled everything again, but this time I told the installer to put GRUB in the MBR of the second drive. This time yes, when booting up GRUB loads (by the way, it's grub 1.97 beta3). The problem is that only Linux is listed, I cannot go to Windows (I hate it but I need it). How can I bypass GRUB and go on to the Windows boot loader?

Now, I have another problem which can interact with this one. After setting my wireless connection with Ndiswrapper, everything seemed to work correctly. I rebooted my system and surprise! dozens of errors show up telling me that the disk has errors, nasty things about ndiswrapper, etc., and finally stops loading. It happened twice (i.e. I have reinstalled everything from scratch twice), and I'm assuming it has to do with ndiswrapper, but I can't be sure. The result is that I can't load Ubuntu: right now I have a PC with no usable OS! How can I solve this and get into Windows if I can't get into Ubuntu?

Sorry for the long post, I thought it was vital to explain the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: GRUB does not list Windows

Half-solution found: booted with the Windows install CD, then as I was unable to find any recovery command or so, Windows started reinstalling, I exited the installation at some point and I-don't-know-how at the next reboot the Windows boot loader showed up. I cannot get into Ubuntu but at least can use my computer.

Still, it would be nice if somebody gave some hint on how could I tell GRUB that Windows is present in my hard disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GRUB does not list Windows