Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 32 bit systems becomes junkies...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: 2011 32 bit systems becomes junkies...

It actually could be true. AMD talked about a 128-bit CPU a few years ago. The next major AMD release is due in 2011.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...s_to_2011.html
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

they could do it just because they can. that's always an option...
    pekWM | archlinux | Dell E5400
    CounterStream Radio

Beans

You know, this might be AMD's comeback. Bring out something that at least in numbers is better and catch up to Intel. They cant push the MHZ numbers as well anymore, so lets add more cores, more cache and tata...more bits....apeal to your braging needs.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645, Intel I7 720QM, 4GB DDR 3 1333, SONY NEC BC-5600S Blu-Ray / dvd drive, ATI 4670

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

humm dunno AMD was a huge hype with the Athlon series, at least the 3700 was a major hit here (portugal) every geek of the block had one xD (I still do, although I have a 4000+ hehe talk about bragging rights). They slipped and I didn't noticed (bought another AMD cpu though a triple-core) so maybe just pushing 128bits isn't going to cut it. I know people are mostly dumb and will buy whatever's shiniers and have bigger numbers and more useless features, but we are talking about BIG useless-ness here IMHO if nothing is optimized for 64 (read: a lot of versatile common-day solutions, needed by preety much everyone) why make 128?
    pekWM | archlinux | Dell E5400
    CounterStream Radio

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by el mariachi View Post
    humm dunno AMD was a huge hype with the Athlon series, at least the 3700 was a major hit here (portugal) every geek of the block had one xD (I still do, although I have a 4000+ hehe talk about bragging rights). They slipped and I didn't noticed (bought another AMD cpu though a triple-core) so maybe just pushing 128bits isn't going to cut it. I know people are mostly dumb and will buy whatever's shiniers and have bigger numbers and more useless features, but we are talking about BIG useless-ness here IMHO if nothing is optimized for 64 (read: a lot of versatile common-day solutions, needed by preety much everyone) why make 128?

Just read another post, very good one too.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news....aspx?pageid=0
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Beans

Could who have stated that 128bit instructions would take longer time than <128bit instructions please elaborate on the reason for this?
    I can see a few things;
    1) as pythonscript said it's really the data size that is 128 bit and not the whole thing
    2) bus widths being <128 bit making data transfer take more cycles.
    ...but those are not problems with 128bit instructions as such, it's just crappy impelmentation and support hardware.
    Also no matter what the gaming industry tries to shove up, more bits does not automatically make better games. | sed "s/bits/other tech stuff/"
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

32 bit needs to go away. It is a zombie that is holding everything back.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    The first anyone has heard of 128-bit x86 CPUs was a week ago when Microsoft started saying something about making Windows 8 for "IA-128".
    Look who's talking! Aren't those boys at Microsoft the ones that don't even have full and complete 64bit support yet?

As in "all my drivers work on my 64bit Vista in 64bit mode?"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by surfed View Post
    with 2011 only 14 months away and 64bit systems not fully advantage taken of i call bull.
    +2

Beans

For the consumer 32bit will still be viable for a little longer but overall I doubt 128bit will be a viable option.
    Mainly the state of 64bit in the mainstream, most still have little to support for it.
    Microsoft has no mastery of 64bit thats for sure, as for linux bet it will be able to work well on 128bit soon enough.
    Sooner then the other OS's
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast