Thread: evolution doesn't check for new mail in background

Beans
    Hidden!

evolution doesn't check for new mail in background

i'm using the karmic beta. when i have the evolution mail window open and i receive a new message, the indicator applet icon changes to alert me of the new message. however, when i close the evolution mail window, not quit the application, and i receive a new email the indicator applet icon doesn't change. i have evolution set to check to new messages every 5 minutes but even after waiting 20 minutes the applet icon doesn't change.

This is what is running after i close the evolution window:
    Code:
    [0]~$ ps ax | grep evolution
     2032 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/evolution/2.28/evolution-alarm-notify
     2179 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-data-server-2.28 --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_DataServer_BookFactory:1.2 --oaf-ior-fd=26
     8270 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/lib/evolution/2.28/evolution-exchange-storage --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Exchange_Connector_BookFactory:1.2 --oaf-ior-fd=34
    25603 pts/3    S+     0:00 grep evolution
    what could be wrong?

Beans

Re: evolution doesn't check for new mail in background

When you close the application main window, evolution is closed (not like empathy).
    The 3 processes don't check new mail.

If you want check email without evolution main window, you can install mail-notification and configure it to check your email (not with evolution parameter because it doesn't work). It send notifications and add an icon in the notification area when you have new mails.
    You can run mail-notification at startup with this command (add to gnome startup programs) :
    Code:
    sh -c "sleep 30 && mail-notification&"

Site : http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
    Last edited by mohegan; October 20th, 2009 at 01:06 AM.