Thread: spinning cursor over desktop on first login

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

spinning cursor over desktop on autologin

If I use autologin, the mouse cursor changes to its spinning "busy" state whenever it is over bare desktop or my gnome-panel.

When the cursor is in an application window, it appears normal. If I log out and back in again, the problem goes away. If I don't use the "log in as <me> automatically" feature, the problem never appears.

Anyone have advice for tracking this down?
    Last edited by joee92; October 19th, 2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: update subject to match new information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: spinning cursor over desktop on first login

Quote Originally Posted by joee92 View Post
    The first time I log in (autologin, FWIW) the mouse cursor changes to its spinning "busy" state whenever it is over bare desktop or my gnome-panel.

When the cursor is in an application window, it appears normal. If I log out and back in again, the problem goes away.

Anyone have advice for tracking this down?
    Using top and see if anything changes when you move from desktop to app.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Using top and see if anything changes when you move from desktop to app.
    I don't think there's any correlation between the spinning cursor and CPU usage. My CPU usage is low and I can't discern any difference in "top" when I move from root window to app.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by joee92 View Post
    I don't think there's any correlation between the spinning cursor and CPU usage. My CPU usage is low and I can't discern any difference in "top" when I move from root window to app.
    I didn't say anything about cpu usage. TOP may reveal what's trying to open during the "spinning" cursor.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: using top or ps

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I didn't say anything about cpu usage. TOP may reveal what's trying to open during the "spinning" cursor.
    I don't follow. How would I use "top" to reveal what's trying to open? Normally it shows a list of processes, sorted by CPU usage. In that view, I see nothing remarkable (Xorg, gnome-terminal, top itself, ...) and no discernible change whether I'm hovering over the root window or an app.

I have used "pstree <user>" to see all processes I own. I even tried killing a bunch of them, but none of the killing had any effect on the spinning cursor.
    Last edited by joee92; October 19th, 2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: clarify and reiterate #3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think it's probably a bug caused by xsplash not stopping properly... Does Xsplash show up in top and/or what happens if you uninstall xsplash and try booting without it?