Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using PVR150 IR Blaster In Mythbuntu 9.10b

Hybrid View

Beans

Using PVR150 IR Blaster In Mythbuntu 9.10b

Working on setting up a new box with Mythbuntu 9.10 beta.

Everything's working pretty well so far - including my remote - but I can't get the blaster to work on my PVR150. (The vanilla 3.5mm blaster, not the MCE USB one.)

I won't go on about what I've done, but basically I think I just need the LIRC_PVR150 kernel module.

Where do I get that? How do I load it?
    Do I have to recompile the kernel? Or LIRC?

Almost everything I've found on this references this page: http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24
    That would be a great help, but the pre-patched version of LIRC he provides won't compile with the new kernel.

I feel like I'm just missing something simple, but I can't figure out what. Any help would be great!

Beans

Re: Using PVR150 IR Blaster In Mythbuntu 9.10b

This won't help you much, but I could get the Hauppauge HVR-1600 remote to even be found in Ubuntu 9.10 with all of the updates as of today. I had to put the old Hauppauge PVR-150 card in and it is now - at least found.

dmesg | grep lirc

[ 13.477963] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
    [ 13.824620] lirc_i2c: chip 0x10020 found @ 0x71 (Hauppauge PVR150)
    [ 13.824623] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 10

Still not finding the HVR-1600 but at least the remote for me now works.

In your case, try to run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc" and ensure that when it asks on the second page about the IR transmitter, choose the correct one you will be using it with.

Beans

Unfortunately, the Hauppauge transmitter doesn't appear to be an option when I run "dpkg-reconfigure lirc".

I'm pretty sure it was there in at least one of the earlier Mythbuntu versions, but it's not in 9.10.

Thanks though.

Beans

Wow, that is strange. I am running Ubuntu 9.10 (instead of Mythbuntu) and when I do the "sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc" command, the first page that comes up is the information for the IR receiver. It lists many different cards - and there should be an entry (in alphabetical order) where it says "Hauppauge TV Card".

Beans

Oh yeah, the Hauppage card is there on the first screen, under Receivers. But it's the Transmitter I need (the next screen), and I don't see it there.

Beans

Yes, you will not see the Hauppauge TV Card under the transmitter. In that list, you need to select the box that the transmitter will control - this would be the make/model of the device that your cable company or satellite company provided you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel23 View Post
    Where do I get that? How do I load it?
    Do I have to recompile the kernel? Or LIRC?

Almost everything I've found on this references this page: http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24
    That would be a great help, but the pre-patched version of LIRC he provides won't compile with the new kernel.

I feel like I'm just missing something simple, but I can't figure out what. Any help would be great!

I am in the same situation and it appears I have tried the same steps as you. Has anyone been able to figure this out yet?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stong98 View Post
    I am in the same situation and it appears I have tried the same steps as you. Has anyone been able to figure this out yet?
    Thanks for posting... I knew I couldn't possibly be alone on this.

No solution yet. I'm thinking we just need someone (smarter than me, apparently) to patch LIRC the same way that that guy Mark did in that link.

Please let us know if you find anything.

Beans

Someone filed a bug against this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rc/+bug/454843

So it seems like pvr150 will not compile against the 2.6.31 (which I confirmed). I emailed the original pvr150 driver author, but am not holding my breath for an answer.

I am going to continue procrastinating and try to get it working, but I do not have high hopes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybondo View Post
    Someone filed a bug against this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rc/+bug/454843

So it seems like pvr150 will not compile against the 2.6.31 (which I confirmed). I emailed the original pvr150 driver author, but am not holding my breath for an answer.

I am going to continue procrastinating and try to get it working, but I do not have high hopes.
    Thanks!

Interesting...

If it helps at all, I was able to determine that "lirc_pvr150" was re-released as "lirc_zilog", and Jarod Wilson created a kernel patch for .31 that apparently gets it working. (Sorry, don't have the links handy ATM.)

I haven't tried it, but it might be something to look at.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast