Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aero Snap function?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Howto: Aero Snap for Compiz

Quote Originally Posted by gotsanity View Post
    Ok boys and girls, get ready to write this down.

First you need to make sure you have the following installed:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager wmctrl
    While that is running find out how big the dimensions of your screen is (Mine has a width of 1600 pixels by a height of 1200 pixels). Write these down you will need them later.

Next, open compizconfig settings manager by clicking on System > Preferences > Compizconfig Settings Manager

At the very top is a button labeled Commands. Select it.

Wmctrl will do the window sizing via the following command:

Code:
    wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e <Gravity>,<X>,<Y>,<Width>,<Height>
    Where do I type this code since you already have a code to input for command line 0? In addition, do I replace the words in the code Width & Height to the numbers of my resolution?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Aero Snap function?

hmm anybody know about this ubuntu feature anymore?

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Aero Snap function?

Anybody?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleKing View Post
    Anybody?
    Read this site for an easy walkthrough:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/a...ntu-linux.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Its a nice feature, though I prefer grid and Maximumize in compiz.
    Especially with dual monitor aero snap is useless, as it only snaps to the left half on the left monitor and the right half on the right monitor
    I realize that this is an Ubuntu forum, but I'd like to point out that you're mistaken. You can snap to the right edge of your monitor in a dual monitor setup (where the desktop is extended to the right) by using the super+right arrow key combo. Obviously, if you try to drag it it will just go onto the extended desktop.
    Resolution help | Mac4Lin install guide|Fuduntu
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    A suggestion for you...dump the "us vs. them" attitude ...

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Aero Snap function?

This program is slow and sometimes does not respond on my PC following omgUbuntu website's guide for installation. When I move the cursor to the left, to the right, or above I have to do it 4-6 times for it to respond, and sometimes it does not do anything at all. I would like to try the super-right arrow key combo, where do I look to set this up, or exactly which keys do I need to use (don't understand which key is "super")?

Edit: okay I noticed it works when I carry the window to the left, right, and above, but I have to bury half of the window on direction mentioned for me to get it to work. This kind of defeats the purpose of making it half or viewable at all if I cannot see half of the window. I believe I might to setup the width and height of the snap function, so it does go over the screen. Any idea where do I insert this information?
    Last edited by TurtleKing; December 17th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.

Beans

Hello,

I noticed that if a window is already fully maximised then you can't drag it straight from maximised to the side of the screen for the "half-fullscreen" effect. I fixed that by adding
    Code:
    wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b remove,maximized_vert,maximized_horz
    to the command lines for left and right snap.

So my command0 (left snap) is now:

Code:
    WIDTH=`xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d 'x'` && HALF=$(($WIDTH/2)) && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b remove,maximized_vert,maximized_horz && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,0,0,$HALF,-1
    and command 1 (right snap) is:

Code:
    WIDTH=`xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d 'x'` && HALF=$(($WIDTH/2)) && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b remove,maximized_vert,maximized_horz && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,$HALF,0,$HALF,-1

Beans
    Hidden!

I have noticed a few problems with following the instructions in jedi453's post. First, if I bind run command 2 to top, my auto-hidden top toolbar won't expand. Second, any active window will snap to left or right screen edge (or maximize at top edge) merely by moving the mouse pointer there - not just by me grabbing and dragging a window. Naturally this is annoying. Thirdly, when dragging the window back from the edge, it won't resize to its original size.

There aren't any conflicts with the Rotate Cube plugin. I turned it off and nothing changed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Bumping this. See my previous post.

Is there a way to make an auto-hidden top toolbar work with Command line 2?

Also, I understand now why you should set an edge trigger delay at about 500. The code merely depends on the location of the mouse pointer, not that the mouse pointer is currently dragging a window. Is there any way to make the function trigger only on dragging windows to screen edges, and not simply by moving the mouse pointer to the screen edge? I imagine it might be hard to do, but that would make this work more like Aero Snap actually does, and remove this little edge flip delay annoyance.

As for my third problem, I've found that it is windows that take up 100% of the vertical screen space that won't resize back when pulled away from the edges. ANy way to fix this?

Edit: I've used this function for a while now, and it just gets really annoying the way windows will move to one side just because you have the mouse pointer there, for example using the scrollbar on a maximized window. Unless there is a way to get the "snap" to happen ONLY on drag & drop, I will say it is pretty useless to assign the edge bindings this way. Better then to assign button bindings, or use the Grid plugin instead.
    Last edited by auh2o; March 7th, 2010 at 11:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The 2 above posts by auh2o are problems for me too. This especially arises with the desktop; it will move it about if you have no other windows in focus, naturally causing issues.

If there is any way to detect whether the mouse button is down, then that would be fantastic.
    Dell Vostro 1500: Intel T7250, 4GB RAM (800MHz), nVidia 8600M GT, Intel 3945AGB Pro Wireless.
    Ubuntu 10.04 + Windows 7 dual boot (damn games!)

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast