Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: IE 7 and Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: IE 7 and Firefox

If people would read the tech news, they would know that MS and Mozilla AND apple are working together to make their browsers similar to each other, and yes, the first real sign of this is the RSS icon. It's not a copy, it IS the the icon used in firefox. MS are coming up to the standards of firefox, and they are going to use the same XML open code to build extensions. The hope from this is that FF extensions will work on IE7 and Safari.
    They are also working on anti-phishing methods as well together. There are a lot of things going on between silicon valley and Redmond at the moment.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I tried IE7 and also thought it was ok ...however I still prefer Firefox. As some have mentioned, although web-browsers copy each other unfortunately it seems IE7 doesn't add anything new or worthy of switching over at all. Literally everything is already available in FF.

I didn't like where they placed the "Home" button and I wasn't happy that I couldn't move the address bar from the top. It may be possible but I couldn't find out how to do it. And in the end I was getting too frustrated with it.
    These were just my first impressions and perhaps I need to have a look at it again (in fact no doubt I will be doing so anyway since most organisations use IE including mine )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Did it slow down the computer you tried it on? It did for me.
    I used it for a week, perhaps? It was terrible. Our intranet database has a web interface. I had time out after timeout on pages that are built to not time out until 4 minutes have elapsed. The pages did not render correctly, some buttons or links disappeared altogether. And slow? Horribly, horribly slow. I could have drawn the pages by hand faster.
    When I access the database from home, every other browser I have tried (Opera, Firefox, Epiphany, Seamonkey) was able to render the pages correctly with no timeouts or loss of links.
    I know IE7 is a beta right now, but it has the look and feel of an alpha IMO.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Although IE7 was so-so, it was the RSS that REALLY caught my eye. I wonder why Firefox can't do this instead of resorting to crappy "live bookmarks"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hmmm... How secure is the new IE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Probably as secure as IE6 which means no security. And I will use it on my XP because I think using an open source software on Windows and then blaming how good windows is is bullsh*t. This is the way to see what is the quality of MS software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It's still ugly and not as fully functional as Firefox, no matter what they "copy." Firefox has so many extensions--how can Microsoft keep up?
    Support "Firefox extensions natively in IE?

Beans

Yep, I'll stick with Firefox. Haven't tried IE7, but I don't want to really. Sooner or later there'll be exploits and security fixes.

Anyone visited http://www.ie7.com/.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by potrick
    Support "Firefox extensions natively in IE?
    How?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234