Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tascam US-122 (external sound card) troubles

Beans

Re: Tascam US-122 (external sound card) troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Cracauer
    But alas, this looks like b0rked USB. Are you using some questionably quality hub or something?
    I was really excited for a second, because something different happened when I switched the port from my hub to my actual computer's port. It wouldn't turn on, so then I did the "sudo usx2yloader" thing, and I got the "No USX2Y-compatible cards found"-thing. Then I did the "sudo ln -s /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader /lib/firmware/usx2yloader"-thing (which I think spit out some error message). THEN I re-copied the 55-tascam.rules thing and unplugged and re-plugged it in, and alas! It worked! I tested the sound and sound came out!

Then the computer froze, and I haven't been able to get it to work since...
    same error message:

Quote Originally Posted by bane of my existance
    gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink profile=chat: Could not open audio device for playback.
    Thoughts?

Beans

You need a new hub I guess.

Test the soundcard with aplay.

Beans

Okay. So... here's the update:
    -- I was depressed since the last time I posted, so I just really didn't want to deal with it.

I can hear sound using aplay
    I can record using arecord, then hear what I recorded using aplay...
    -- so the thing works.

BUT

When I try and use hydrogen, jack, testing it via preferences > sound, probably anything else... it freezes my system up

I no longer have it plugged into that hub, I've verified that it's working... how do I actually use it?

If I need to repost dmesg, lsusb, whatever, let me know... I'll probably be near the computer most of the day. Thoughts?

Beans

No, if aplay works all the system and driver things are in order.

I don't use any of that wizzy wizzy software, can't really help you there.

Beans

Well... I know it's installed right or something because aplay works... (I did aplay -D plug:hw:1 -c 2 /usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.0/share/gallery/sounds/cow.wav, and it plays without freezing).

But, it doesn't really matter what program I use to test it out... it crashes anything I try it on (besides the command line stuff).

Where would I even begin looking for the problem?

I don't think it's jackd, hydrogen, whatever... I think it's the card b/c literally everything I try it on it crashes...

:/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zoey.Marie View Post
    Well... I know it's installed right or something because aplay works... (I did aplay -D plug:hw:1 -c 2 /usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.0/share/gallery/sounds/cow.wav, and it plays without freezing).

But, it doesn't really matter what program I use to test it out... it crashes anything I try it on (besides the command line stuff).

Where would I even begin looking for the problem?

I don't think it's jackd, hydrogen, whatever... I think it's the card b/c literally everything I try it on it crashes...

:/
    Why is the Tascam hw:1? What is hw:0?

You need to tell the applications to use the Tascam.

Might be easiest to kill the drivers for whatever is hw:0

Beans

Just so that it's noted, I installed the 686 multimedia real-time kernel and it works perfectly (I just had to tweak the settings in JACK I used, because I was getting crackles in the sound)

though now my wireless adapter doesn't work... any thoughts on what I should do for that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12