Thread: update to karmic saving applications

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question update to karmic saving applications

Hey All,

I am new to ubuntu and newer to this forum.. this is my first post.. I have been using Jaunty for about past 2 months and now that Karmic is about to come.. I'm in a fix about upgrading.

(please don't mind if my questions sound too naive)

Since I have set up all my favorite applications on jaunty, I don't again want to go through the whole rigmarole of installing applications and searching around on the forums for solutions to the common problems.

But there are also a lot of new features in Karmic that I hear of..

So I was wondering if there is any way to upgrade the distro while keeping the applications and settings intact. (Would updating the distro break any applications or anything else that I need to know about?)

Is there a way which can work with reformatting my ubuntu partition too (to ext4) maybe by backing up present stuff on a dvd and reinstalling it later on to karmic???

I really wish there is.

Thanks in anticipation.

P.S.: I read of something called aptoncd.. Is that any good in this case?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: update to karmic saving applications

When Karmic is ready, you'll be prompted to upgrade in the update manager window. It might or might not break things, but should retain most of the settings and applications. It's also possible to reinstall while keeping you home directory in a backup and restore the settings from there later, but, requires a bit of confidence and know-how.
    On the other hand, if Jaunty works great for you, there might not be enough compelling reasons to upgrade at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: update to karmic saving applications

I guess I feel quite at home with ubuntu and my fear of the terminal is also going steadily.. so may be if you could point me to some tutorial which can guide me through the steps of backing up my home directory and then using it to restore my apps and settings.. it would be a great help!

Thanks a lot..