Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Can't type an @

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Beans
    176
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Question Can't type an @

    Hello everyone,

    I know that this isn't an Ubuntu problem, but after googling for 20 minutes, I figured you guys were the only ones that could help me out.

    When you have a keyboard layout that doesn't make @s with Shift-2 it's usually made by typing Ctrl-Alt-2 (or so I've understood). However, no matter what I do, it never makes the @ symbol. This is very annoying as copy pasting @s from hotmail isn't fun.

    By the way, this happens as much on Windows as Ubuntu, and on every PC I have (four and they all multi-boot).

    Can anyone help me out with this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lancs, United Kingdom
    Beans
    1,152
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Can't type an @

    Quote Originally Posted by The Thunder Chimp View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I know that this isn't an Ubuntu problem, but after googling for 20 minutes, I figured you guys were the only ones that could help me out.

    When you have a keyboard layout that doesn't make @s with Shift-2 it's usually made by typing Ctrl-Alt-2 (or so I've understood). However, no matter what I do, it never makes the @ symbol. This is very annoying as copy pasting @s from hotmail isn't fun.

    By the way, this happens as much on Windows as Ubuntu, and on every PC I have (four and they all multi-boot).

    Can anyone help me out with this?
    It certainly sounds odd that you get this fault on several computers and on Windows too.

    One way to enter an @ is with Unicode Composition (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...%20composition)

    Press Ctrl-Shift-U together, release, then type 40 followed by Return. However, that is a lot of keystrokes!

    What do you get instead of @ when you press the @ key on your keyboard?
    What is your keyboard layout? (System->Preferences->Keyboard)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Can't type an @

    Quote Originally Posted by spjackson View Post
    What is your keyboard layout? (System->Preferences->Keyboard)
    Agreed. UK keyboards have the @ symbol two keys to the right of the L key (in the shift position), and shift-2 gives us ". Which is a direct swap of the position of " and @ on US keyboards, which I guess is what you use in Canada.

    But if your systems are set up for the UK layout, that must be so on 4 machines in each of Ubuntu and Windows. Whatever - that might be worth checking.

    As an aside - Apple UK keyboards have " and @ in the US positions. All very confusing.

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Beans
    5

    Re: Can't type an @

    Well i had the same problem (because i was so used to windows) but i realised then in ubuntu it's on "AltGr"+"2".
    At least on my pc (Portugal keyboard). Try it, it might work...
    Last edited by xarkitu; September 11th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Beans
    176
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Cool Re: Can't type an @

    Quote Originally Posted by spjackson View Post
    It certainly sounds odd that you get this fault on several computers and on Windows too.

    One way to enter an @ is with Unicode Composition (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...%20composition)

    Press Ctrl-Shift-U together, release, then type 40 followed by Return. However, that is a lot of keystrokes!

    What do you get instead of @ when you press the @ key on your keyboard?
    What is your keyboard layout? (System->Preferences->Keyboard)
    Your unicode composition works and is DEFINETLY faster than going on hotmail.com and copy-pasting the @ off the example@hotmail.com.

    When I press Ctrl-Alt-2 I get absolutely nothing.

    There must be 10 people in the world who use my layout. It's Canadian French Dvorak.


    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Agreed. UK keyboards have the @ symbol two keys to the right of the L key (in the shift position), and shift-2 gives us ". Which is a direct swap of the position of " and @ on US keyboards, which I guess is what you use in Canada.

    But if your systems are set up for the UK layout, that must be so on 4 machines in each of Ubuntu and Windows. Whatever - that might be worth checking.

    As an aside - Apple UK keyboards have " and @ in the US positions. All very confusing.
    There is no standard Shift-(key) keystroke to get a @. It is Ctrl-Alt-2, and it doesn't work at all.


    Quote Originally Posted by xarkitu View Post
    Well i had the same problem (because i was so used to windows) but i realised then in ubuntu it's on "AltGr"+"2".
    At least on my pc (Portugal keyboard). Try it, it might work...
    Thanks for trying to help, but my keyboard doesn't even have a AltGr key!

    Thanks for your help guys, the unicode thing we'll definetly help me out. But it would be great if we could get this done once and for all. Also, will the unicode thing work on Windows?

    Thanks Again

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    1,438

    Re: Can't type an @

    Yay another Dvorak keyboard user
    I'm somewhat jealous that you use the Canadian French Dvorak layout - as I merely use USA Dvorak.

    Anyhow, I switched to your layout and can indeed make the @ symbol by pressing:
    RightAlt 2
    Let us know if that doesn't fix the problem for you.
    Work smart, not hard.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Beans
    176
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Talking Re: Can't type an @

    YAY! Thanks man, that solved my problem!

    Congrats for using Dvorak, I still hope for the impossible, that someday people will massively change layouts.

    I had no idea that 2nd alternate keys had to be activated by using Right_Alt-(Number)! I always thought it was supposed to be Left_Ctrl-Left_Alt-(Number). Sweet, you have no idea how happy I am right now

    I hope they'll offer some Australian Dvorak layout someday, but I really needed a French Dvorak, because the USA Dvorak doesn't have french accents, and the France Dvorak is optimized for french (somewhat different layout that I don't use).
    You are awesome! Thanks for everyone else's great help too!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •