This is a post to try to help both myself and others that want to run Ubuntu on this bargain laptop, as I couldn't find much regarding this hardware, and several critical components does not work.

The most critical functions that do not work out of the box in 9.10 daily is:

• wireless network - the Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
  • wired network - Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
  • Acer shortcuts and keys - the special keys on the keyboard and shortcut keys does not work

What I have tried so far:

As a tip to others that need network on this laptop: I use my HTC Touch HD as a USB network card to connect to the internet. Works out of the box, but can be potentially expensive depending on your data plan.

To get the wireless network running, I have tried the following:

• installed updated wireless drivers from linuxwireless.org
  • installed linux-backports-modules-karmic

Even though it seems that the ath9k driver should support the card, it will not show up under my configured interfaces, and the output from sudo lshw -C network gives

Code:
*-network UNCLAIMED     
       description: Network controller
       product: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
       vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
       version: 01
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:ba000000-ba00ffff
To get the wired networking to run, I have tried the following:

• nothing

To get the shortcut keys working, I have tried the following:

• nothing

I will keep updating this til I have a fully working system. If anyone has tips and / or tricks and want to share them, I will add them to this post with references where needed.

-KJ