Thread: DVD/cd tray keeps ejecting by itself

Beans

DVD/cd tray keeps ejecting by itself

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop computer with Ubuntu 9.x (latest version).

I don't know what's going on here, but the dvd/cd tray keeps ejecting (randomly) on it's own. It doesn't even have a disk in it. It doesn't occur all the time, like it won't eject the tray as soon as I push it back in, but it does occur say every 5 minutes or so (or perhaps less frequently like once every time I use the laptop over several hours).

It's like their is a ghost in the house pushing the button to eject. And I thought at first I was accidentally hitting the eject button when I used the mouse or moved the computer (actually it did just happen when I picked up the laptop and scotted it a few inches on the table towards me - so maybe there is a short circuit inside the laptop or something).

Anyways, I just want to know if anyone has experienced this before and if it has something to do with Ubuntu operating system or if it is a hardware problem with the laptop (regardless of what OS is on it). However, I don't recall this ever happening when my wife used it for 5 years where it had ms windows on it. It now only has Ubuntu on it and ms windows has been completely wiped off the system.

Or maybe it is a ghost - LOL!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: DVD/cd tray keeps ejecting by itself

i know of a client who has a dell lattitude lappie that runs only windows 2000 and it does the same
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stinger30au View Post
    i know of a client who has a dell lattitude lappie that runs only windows 2000 and it does the same
    That sounds logical except for one reason which is: I just asked my wife if this computer did this for the past 5 years when she used it for work and it had ms windows xp on it. My wife said it never did this before [which is randomly eject dvd/cd tray]

I can tell you the only other thing it might be is upon boot I get a quick one line sentence that says Bios error. But I made a post concerning this and I don't think anyone replied to the post that could explain the Bios error [some type of Bios error where a timer couldn't be connected to however in Ubuntu the time and date are always correct when using it].

Thank you for replying.

Beans

Start the pc and go inside the bios, then wait to see if it happens again.
    If not then it is software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pietjanjaap View Post
    Start the pc and go inside the bios, then wait to see if it happens again.
    If not then it is software.
    Could you help me by telling me how I can go inside the bios when I start the Dell laptop.

I'll do what you say and wait once inside the bios, I just don't know how to start the pc and go inside the bios.