Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cairo front-end for Conky!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down Conklets - Nifty Cairo driven widgets right within Conky!

Hello folks!

I would like to show you some of my recent work. I have always been disturbed by conky's limited possibilities when it comes to the presentation of the information that can be collected with conky.

So I started to develop something like a front-end for Conky that uses the Cairo graphics-engine to display the information in a hopefully better and nicer way. It is still in heavy development and unusable for someone not familiar with the code. So the reason why I post this here is, because I wonder whether someone is willing to create some basic mock-ups for some more "widgets" since I am not creative at all. Then I will try to convert them into actual working ones. Let your creativity flow since there aren't almost any restricitions with the cairo engine. So nearly everything is possible as long as my skills allow it.

To show you what I got so far here is a screenshot with all widgets that are avaible at the moment:

the actual code for the end-user to get a result like that is the following:
    Code:
    draw_curve_clock(10,435,320,200,20,2,85/255,85/255,85/255,1,1,1,1,0.5)
    	draw_digit("CPU 1: ", 10, 230, 70, 0, 270, "${cpu cpu1}", 100, 2, 85/255, 85/255,85/255,1,1,1,1,0.5)
    	draw_digit("CPU 2: ", 180, 230, 70, 0, 270, "${cpu cpu2}", 100, 2, 85/255, 85/255,85/255,1,1,1,1,0.5)
    	draw_circle_stat("CPU 2: ", 180, 25, 70, "${cpu cpu2}", 100, 2,85/255,85/255,85/255,1,1,1,1,0.5)
    	draw_circle_stat("CPU 1: ", 10, 25, 70, "${cpu cpu1}", 100, 2, 85/255, 85/255, 85/255, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0.5)
    	draw_digit("CPU Temp: ", 10, 645, 70, 0, 270, "${hwmon temp 1}", 85, 2, 85/255, 85/255,85/255,1,1,1,1,0.5)
    	draw_h_meter("CPU 2: ", 180, 645, 70, 191, "${cpu cpu2}", 100, 2,85/255,85/255,85/255,1,1,1,1,0.5)
    	draw_h_meter("CPU 2: ", 260, 645, 70, 191, "${cpu cpu1}", 100, 2,85/255,85/255,85/255,1,1,1,1,0.5)
    But there still will be some more improvements concerning ease of use. Of course it will be OpenSource when it comes to a release.

So comments and critics are more than welcome!
    Last edited by Labello; October 24th, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
    "To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." Woody Allen
    Stressing The Gimp - High Quality Tutorials For The Gimp

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Cairo front-end for Conky!

Have you tried the latest conky with cairo and lua bindings?

See this blog post: http://blog.conky.be/2009/09/28/lua-...etting-started

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Have you tried the latest conky with cairo and lua bindings?

See this blog post: http://blog.conky.be/2009/09/28/lua-...etting-started
    Yeah that's what I am using! But I am planning to develop a whole set of functions that allow to easily create various effects by using the variables returned by conky!

Therefore I could need some help with some more ideas for effects and widgets.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Labello View Post
    Yeah that's what I am using! But I am planning to develop a whole set of functions that allow to easily create various effects by using the variables returned by conky!

Therefore I could need some help with some more ideas for effects and widgets.
    lol, thats nice. you could call that "conklets".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    lol, thats nice. you could call that "conklets".
    Yeah I this name came to my mind to. If there will ever be a release, I will consider this one!

Here is another screen showing some gloss-effect that will be available optionally and a very simple clock:

comments and crits always welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks Nice. I would tend to not use the glass look, but the flat one, but other people will probably like the glass.
    So would you be able to set it up to have a chart (or dial) that takes the number a script gives? Because I have a folding at home script and other people have weather scripts, etc.
    I don't want to Live in a Life without Walls-too many viruses get in...
    Ubuntu user 23101 Linux user 472132
    Two ways to live: the choice we all face

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareExplorer View Post
    Looks Nice. I would tend to not use the glass look, but the flat one, but other people will probably like the glass.
    So would you be able to set it up to have a chart (or dial) that takes the number a script gives? Because I have a folding at home script and other people have weather scripts, etc.
    I don't get what you want to know. These widgets can be used together with a normal conky-config and can be placed whereever you like within the conky window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Labello View Post
    I don't get what you want to know. These widgets can be used together with a normal conky-config and can be placed whereever you like within the conky window.
    I have stuff like this in my conkyrc and I was basically wondering if it could be put into a dial for instance:
    Code:
    ${execi 500 cat /opt/foldingathome/1/FAHlog.txt | tr '(' '\n' |tr ')' '\n' | grep -E "(%|percent)"|tail -n 1 | tr  -d 'percent'  | tr  -d '%'} %  ${color2}${execbar echo "scale=2; $(cat /opt/foldingathome/1/FAHlog.txt | tr '(' '\n' |tr ')' '\n' | grep -E "(%|percent)"|tail -n 1 | tr  -d 'percent'  | tr  -d '%')/100" | bc -q}
    I don't want to Live in a Life without Walls-too many viruses get in...
    Ubuntu user 23101 Linux user 472132
    Two ways to live: the choice we all face

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareExplorer View Post
    I have stuff like this in my conkyrc and I was basically wondering if it could be put into a dial for instance:
    Code:
    ${execi 500 cat /opt/foldingathome/1/FAHlog.txt | tr '(' '\n' |tr ')' '\n' | grep -E "(%|percent)"|tail -n 1 | tr  -d 'percent'  | tr  -d '%'} %  ${color2}${execbar echo "scale=2; $(cat /opt/foldingathome/1/FAHlog.txt | tr '(' '\n' |tr ')' '\n' | grep -E "(%|percent)"|tail -n 1 | tr  -d 'percent'  | tr  -d '%')/100" | bc -q}
    I still don't get what you want, but ok.

I added another visual effect called shadows. right now you can only set their size but nothing else, but I will certainly include more customization options:

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You seem pretty creative to me, keep going. You know how many people haven't done with Conky what you succeeded in doing?
    If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
    Dalai Lama

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast