Thread: DVD Drive and USB ports not recognized on Toshiba Satellite A135-S2256

Beans

Exclamation DVD Drive and USB ports not recognized on Toshiba Satellite A135-S2256

I just registered to this forum to ask this question because I've looked everywhere else for the solution to this problem. Before I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on this laptop, it wouldn't recognize the DVD Drive or USB ports on Windows XP. Basically, it won't play any CD/ DVD, and won't recognize any USB device connected to it, nor charge some of them. However, the Ethernet and Wi-fi devices work fine as well as the audio and headphone jack. I don't know what caused the problem originally, this is how I got this laptop.

I need to know what the problem could be and if it can be fixed while using Ubuntu 9.04 as my OS, because Windows kept giving the blue screen of death when I tried re-installing it using another laptop.

Any helpful tips, info or links relating to my problem would be much appreciated, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: DVD Drive and USB ports not recognized on Toshiba Satellite A135-S2256

Quote Originally Posted by jayveee View Post
    I just registered to this forum to ask this question because I've looked everywhere else for the solution to this problem. Before I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on this laptop, it wouldn't recognize the DVD Drive or USB ports on Windows XP. Basically, it won't play any CD/ DVD, and won't recognize any USB device connected to it, nor charge some of them. However, the Ethernet and Wi-fi devices work fine as well as the audio and headphone jack. I don't know what caused the problem originally, this is how I got this laptop.

I need to know what the problem could be and if it can be fixed while using Ubuntu 9.04 as my OS, because Windows kept giving the blue screen of death when I tried re-installing it using another laptop.

Any helpful tips, info or links relating to my problem would be much appreciated, thanks.

Sounds like a hardware problem with either a motherboard or connection or maybe a bios setting if not hardware. Especially doing it in all OS' cause windows is pretty usb friendly so if all devices do this its telly you 1 thing that the usb port is not being read and powered. And considering the Dvd dont work either and its around usb ports I am betting this laptop has been dropped resulting in this damage however of course i cant say that 100% positively since i hav enever seen the thing but something of that nature is my suspect.
    Last edited by PrePenguin; October 17th, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
    2.1 AMD Athlon-X2 QL 64,
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics Card 1408 mb HyperMemory,
    320 Gigabyte HDD, 3 Gigabytes DDR2 Memory,
    15.6" HD LCD. Ubuntu 9.04....

Beans

Well, they are both connected to the motherboard, and the USB ports do charge certain devices, like my JWIN jukem@n mp3 player. The DVD-ROM Drive does try to load a disc but after the initial try, it goes quiet and the computer doesn't acknowledge any disc or even the drive itself. The BIOS is set to defaults and no configuration that I have tried solves the problem. Every piece of hardware in this laptop is stock, in accordance to the Toshiba website. Nothing on the inside looks damaged as far as I can tell. I suspect that a certan driver might fix this problem but I'm not sure on how I would get it using Ubuntu. Toshiba's website only has support for Windows users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jayveee View Post
    Well, they are both connected to the motherboard, and the USB ports do charge certain devices, like my JWIN jukem@n mp3 player. The DVD-ROM Drive does try to load a disc but after the initial try, it goes quiet and the computer doesn't acknowledge any disc or even the drive itself. The BIOS is set to defaults and no configuration that I have tried solves the problem. Every piece of hardware in this laptop is stock, in accordance to the Toshiba website. Nothing on the inside looks damaged as far as I can tell. I suspect that a certan driver might fix this problem but I'm not sure on how I would get it using Ubuntu. Toshiba's website only has support for Windows users.

well you could install ubuntu and try the default drivers and go from there if you get a response diferent then you do in windows you know its a software issue and not a hardware since the kernel in linux has alot already in the kernel you could atleast try.. but not sure what would your best option since u obviously cant use the cd/dvd player or the usb's arent working for a storage boot device. So other then a network update i dont know unless you try wubi install but i am not familiar with wubi so not sure how that works and also if you mess your windows up I am not sure how you could recover the computer considering the CD/DVD drive is malfuctioning too.
    2.1 AMD Athlon-X2 QL 64,
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics Card 1408 mb HyperMemory,
    320 Gigabyte HDD, 3 Gigabytes DDR2 Memory,
    15.6" HD LCD. Ubuntu 9.04....