Thread: Engineering sofware?

Beans

Engineering sofware?

Hi,
    Does anyone know if there are any CAD software out there that I could install on ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Engineering sofware?

Quote Originally Posted by racermike1967
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if there are any CAD software out there that I could install on ubuntu?
    I just searched quickly with apt-cache and the only thing I found was qcad. Sounds like what you are looking for ;D
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is a free 2D CAD package named qCAD.
    You need to enable the universe repository, then type "sudo apt-get install qcad" to install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Also, look at http://pfrostie.freeservers.com/cad-tastrafy/ for a list of cad programs.
    If you need a more professional package, you can download a trial version of varicad at http://www.varicad.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

GraphiteOne 3D looks promising. I installed on my Hoary but there are issues with dependencies. Nevertheless, the app uses a features method to defining parts (fillets, chamfers etc..)

Another is BRL-Cad a physics oriented engineering package for simulation and design. If you try it lemme know how it performs.

I work mostly with autocad professionaly at an architectural firm. I would not mind a GPL CAd app for home. QtCad does not allow remapping keyboard shortcuts to autocad (THe best way to effiicently use a CAD program-mousing is tooo slooow).

Beans

i've tryed TO download VARICAD for my ubuntu DAPPER, but i'm new on linux.... what version works???? there are many of them
    debian
    red hat
    suse
    mandrake....
    ????
    tnk

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azanutta
    i've tryed TO download VARICAD for my ubuntu DAPPER, but i'm new on linux.... what version works???? there are many of them
    debian
    red hat
    suse
    mandrake....
    ????
    tnk
    The debian one will work for you.

Im looking around for software to do basic top view of roof's trying a few to see which is easiest best to use

Zad

Beans

Dalani,
    Can you show us how to install graphiteone on ubuntu, I try the lastest one, It seems to be installed after I changed the files from rpm to deb and installed. but I cannot run it.
    I do know where it was installed and I type graphiteone the terminal responsed no such command.
    Can you help?
    jchan

Beans

When I try to start graphiteone I get the following error

Code:
    /usr/bin/graphiteone: 19: function: not found
    usage : graphiteone [options]
    Options:
       --ogl=[yes|no]               Enable/Disable OpenGL display driver (default is no).
       --fsaa-mode=[0..5]           Enable FSAA mode for nVidia graphic cards (experimental!).
       --python=[python executable] The python executable to use (default is python).
       --paths=[path:...]           More entries for PYTHONPATH.
    Anyone knows what's happening here?