Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Ubuntu partition install?

Beans

Minimum Ubuntu partition install?

Hey guys! I've been experimenting with ubuntu for a couple months now, but I have an issue for work that just came up. I have a 4 GB hard drive that I have to get Ubuntu, XP, and some free space installed as:

1 gb ntfs win xp
    1 gb ntfs shared space
    1.5 gb ext3 ubuntu (if possible?)

I also have to put alittle bit of free space between each of the partitions if possible. So I tried installing ubuntu as 1.5 gb, and it wouldn't let me. When I used 2 GB, it let me go through with the install, but cut out after reaching a certain point, saying there was no more space for the install.

Is there a way to slim down the install? I used nLite to slim xp to 1.2 gb, but the partition sizes are really a must for my work. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Minimum Ubuntu partition install?

Yep, do a minimal install and build up only what you need.

Ther are many light weight Ubuntu installs as well, crunchbang and lubuntu.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

How exactly do you do a minimum install?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Check this page out for the Minimal CD - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

To be honest, 4GB is not enough space to hold all of that, I think Windows XP uses over a GB after a fresh install, and that's before service packs or additions like any sort of Office software. There are a variety of Linux distributions that are made for small installs. A minimal install of Ubuntu is more lightweight than a normal install and should fit on the 4GB drive with some room to spare, but I wouldn't try to fit anything more than one OS on a 4GB drive without using VM as the other "installations," and even those need to be really small.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rocket2dmn View Post
    [/url]

a minimal install of ubuntu is more lightweight than a normal install and should fit on the 4gb drive with some room to spare, but i wouldn't try to fit anything more than one os on a 4gb drive without using vm as the other "installations," and even those need to be really small.
    + 1
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Check this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by raymondhenson View Post
    + 1
    +1 also

There's no way you're going to get all that onto a 4GB HDD.

But I have to ask, why are you using a 4GB HDD in the first place? You can find 80GB's for under $50 that will actually give you space to work with!
    Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K [4.7GHz]; ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z; AMD Radeon HD 6870; 16GB Geil DDR3-1600; OCz Vertex 2 128GB SSD; Lian Li PC-V351B; Corsair H100 cooler; Corsair TX650W; 3x BenQ G2222HDL + 1x Acer x93w; Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans

Haha well, my boss came to me one day and told me to set up that HDD like that. I work in the computer science department at the school and I'm pretty sure this is a simple virus attack lab that I am helping set up. We have a bunch of these old 4 gb drives sitting around that they don't care to infect, and we don't have any more budget to buy extra Hard drives for this.

I managed to get XP SP2 under 1.2 GB using nlite, I really think I can get this to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi,
    Since they have a bunch of 4 gb hard drives laying around, is it possible for you to install a second 4gb hard drive? You can then have Windows installed on one, and a linux installed on the other. My other suggestion is to look at Puppy Linux, a much faster and smaller live cd that allows you to save your settings to the hard drive when you shut down so that you never need to install the OS itself. It is installable too, but since you have limited space, I thought I would mention it.
    James

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You can fit a decent installation of Ubuntu into 4 Gb easily.

I have been working on Zenix and it uses 1.5 Gb

http://zenix-os.net/

When installing , ubiquity pulls openoffice and the lnaguage packs (working on it ...)

During the install, click the "skip" button when it starts pulling these things.

The final install is just under 1.5 Gb and it has XFCE and Fluxbox.

I am just saying , minimal install + proper package selection will fit in a 4 Gb partition easily.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast