Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lego Digital Designer in Wine

Beans

Lego Digital Designer in Wine

Hey- I see on WineHQ that this program gets their Gold rating, and there's at least one user on the forums using it in Wine (See lego tower computer case thread)...

First I had issues installing it, but after a quick google search I found I had to be in XP mode to get it to work. So- I took care of that, and it installed fine.

But- Now when I launch it everything loads ok, but once it's finished loading- it closes.

I ran it with
    Code:
    wine LDD.exe 2> error.txt
    from the terminal to save all the terminal junk to a file.

Here's the tail end of that file-
    Code:
    tail error.txt
    fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 1
    fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 2
    wine: Call from 0x7bc48e60 to unimplemented function USER32.dll.PrintWindow, aborting
    fixme:shdocvw:BindStatusCallback_OnProgress status code 11
    fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x3930678)->(1 00000000 (nil))
    fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Unadvise (0x3930678)->(0)
    fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x3930678)->(1)
    fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x192530)->(1 00000000 (nil))
    fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Unadvise (0x192530)->(31448112)
    fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x192530)->(1)
    I think the USER32.dll.PrintWindow line might be the cause of my problems. I would really like to get this running in wine. My wife and kids would appreciate to not have to reboot into Vista to use it, and it won't run in VBox, probalby due to some 3d graphics issue.

Thanks,
    BM
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Lego Digital Designer in Wine

Hey There,

Few questions, first you are using the latest Lego Digital Designer (2.3.19) right? What graphics card, graphics driver version #, and Wine version are you using?

~Jeff

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beastrace91 View Post
    Hey There,

Few questions, first you are using the latest Lego Digital Designer (2.3.19) right? What graphics card, graphics driver version #, and Wine version are you using?

~Jeff
    I'm not in front of that computer right now, but I think it's version 3.0.9 (I downloaded it last night). I have a nvidia geforce 9600 gt 512mb card, I don't know the video card driver, but it's from the repositories, and the wine version is the newest from the Wine PPA repository.

I googled user32.dll, and I wonder, can I just copy it from a functioning windows install?

BM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes you can give that a try - but also be sure to open your winecfg and set the user32.dll to "native over ride" for your application.

Also if that does not work try reverting back to Wine version .29 - I know .30 & .31 suffered from some regressions in the 3D department.

Also the reason I asked about the Lego version is because the latest version with test results in the appdb is 2.3.19 - so if you are using a newer version than this be sure to go make a posting for it in the data base

~Jeff

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beastrace91 View Post
    Yes you can give that a try - but also be sure to open your winecfg and set the user32.dll to "native over ride" for your application.

Also if that does not work try reverting back to Wine version .29 - I know .30 & .31 suffered from some regressions in the 3D department.

Also the reason I asked about the Lego version is because the latest version with test results in the appdb is 2.3.19 - so if you are using a newer version than this be sure to go make a posting for it in the data base

~Jeff
    I tried the latest wine version as a desperate attempt to see if I could get Lightroom to run correctly, but no dice. At least it gets further before failing though...

How do you revert Wine releases? Do I axe the wine ppa, uninstall, and reinstall from the official jaunty repository?

I wonder if I can find the older version of LDD somewhere...

Thanks,
    BM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yea, just comment out the Wine ppa from your sources.list for now and then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove wine
    (don't worry it will keep your installed applications/settings)

Then you simply go download an older version of Wine from here and install it.

~Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi, it is he of the lego tower computer case.

I'm using LDD v3.0.9, having upgraded from 2.4. Since the upgrade, I've suffered the same problem as described in the original post. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, using the latest stable and latest beta (1.32?) of WINE and I have a Core 2 duo @ 2.13GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia 9500GT with 1GB RAM (so shouldn't be a problem).

I need to use this program for my business, so I'm looking into it. And I hope we can get it sorted soon.

Also, older versions of LDD won't connect to the server to check prices or upload
    Last edited by DanFoxDavies; October 16th, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
    The problem lies not with those who are mad and know it, but with those who are mad and don't know it.
    In Closed Source, Computers Program YOU!
    Reg'd Ubuntu User #15364 Reg'd Linux User #450202

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DanFoxDavies View Post
    Hi, it is he of the lego tower computer case.

I'm using LDD v3.0.9, having upgraded from 2.4. Since the upgrade, I've suffered the same problem as described in the original post. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit, using the latest stable and latest beta (1.32?) of WINE and I have a Core 2 duo @ 2.13GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia 9500GT with 1GB RAM (so shouldn't be a problem).

I need to use this program for my business, so I'm looking into it. And I hope we can get it sorted soon.

Also, older versions of LDD won't connect to the server to check prices or upload
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! What have you tried to get it working? I'm going to try that dll when I get home... How long have you had this problem? Did you just upgrade to the new LDD?

BTW, Your thread, which I ran across by chance, is what got me to try LDD in Wine. Up until now we've had to reboot, which my wife and I don't like to do, which means our kids haven't been able to play with it very much.

BM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Also worth mentioning but if you cannot get this working under plain old Wine you might want to take a look @ Codeweavers their last test for LDD is a bit old - but Codeweavers offers a free demo and some software that fails (or needs lots of tweaking under Wine) sometimes runs via Codeweavers with ease.

I personally have a Codeweavers subscription and feel it is worth every penny - good software & they give back to the Wine project.

EDIT: Also just discovered LDD is a free download... Grabbing it now at work and I'll give it a go at home later and see if I can tinker with it enough to get it working

~Jeff
    Last edited by beastrace91; October 17th, 2009 at 12:22 AM.

Beans

Well, I tried a user32.dll from my xp machine, and I tried all the override options, and the best I could do was as far as I have already gotten. Also, I uninstalled wine, commented out the wine ppa and installed an older wine- same deal, except the terminal output is a bit different. The same user32.dll abort line is there, but the stuff after it is different. Don't know if that makes any difference though.

Code:
    wine: Call from 0x4c3053 to unimplemented function USER32.dll.PrintWindow, aborting
    fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec (0x1fe0a4)->((null) 21 2 (nil) (nil))
    fixme:shdocvw:ClOleCommandTarget_Exec (0x1fe0a4)->((null) 28 2 0x32f58c (nil))
    fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x22485c8)->(1 00000000 (nil))
    fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Unadvise (0x22485c8)->(0)
    fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x22485c8)->(1)
    err:quartz:Parser_Destroy pinref should be null, is 1, destroying anyway
    fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x1fe008)->(1 00000000 (nil))
    fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Unadvise (0x1fe008)->(28474712)
    fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x1fe008)->(1)
    fixme:mshtml:HlinkTarget_SetBrowseContext (0x2248fd0)->((nil))
    Thanks for all the help,
    BM

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast