Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    927
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Well, to the extend Linux is viewed at all, this is true. Every person I meet in person (not on the forums or in blogs) who finds out I use Linux asks if I work in technology or if I'm a programmer. They're often shocked to find out neither applies to me.
    I got the impression that lots of non-tech people use Ubuntu. You don't need to be a tech person, you just need to be open-minded and prepared to try new things. With other distro's this is not the case, specifically Arch.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    I got the impression that lots of non-tech people use Ubuntu. You don't need to be a tech person, you just need to be open-minded and prepared to try new things. With other distro's this is not the case, specifically Arch.
    I'm the only Linux user I know in person who isn't also working tech professionally or programming.

    I'm not saying other non-techies can't use Linux, only that they don't.

    In my social circles, I'd say the #1 obstacle (apart from ignorance) is possession of an iPod Touch or iPhone.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    RiceMonsterland, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I'm the only Linux user I know in person who isn't also working tech professionally or programming.

    I'm not saying other non-techies can't use Linux, only that they don't.
    It's true. I know a bunch of Linux users in real life and they're all involved in IT either through work or school.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    355

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    People use Microsoft file formats, and there is no motivation to change. If everyone magically started using open file formats, then I suspect Linux (and other OS's) would be much more widespread.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    927
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    It's true. I know a bunch of Linux users in real life and they're all involved in IT either through work or school.
    I guess a new operating system seems a lot more interesting to a tech person than to any other person.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    I guess a new operating system seems a lot more interesting to a tech person than to any other person.
    That makes sense, considering most people don't even know what an operating system is (or even a web browser).

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tōkyō, Japan
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    I think that's really the biggest problem for GNU/Linux: Most people don't care what OS they're using, they just want it to work. They don't want to tweak their computer, or replace the working environment they're comfortable in, and they really don't care all that much. We have to show them why they should want Linux, they're not going to find out that it is a worthy alternative on their own.

    This has been said many times before here on this forum, but another big problem is that people don't realise that their computer could be much easier to work with than it is under Windows, or think they need to buy a Mac. Even relatively tech-savy people who know how to maintain a Windows system, keeping it up to date, tweaking it etc, don't know how to install an operating system.
    I've helped many people I'd label as tech-savy who wanted Ubuntu, but didn't know how to make the PC boot from the CD-ROM drive!

    Lastly, there's compatibility. Most mainstream hardware types works OOTB, but tablets, 3G modems and touchscreens are still problematic. However, software compatibility is by far the biggest problem. Wine is obviously working hard to fix this, but the best way is really to make Linux so big that companies can profit from porting their applications to it.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Beans
    1,406

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    People go to a store and just buy a computer. They don't care what it comes with, since MS uses it's leverage to force windows on every system it can thats all people know about. If they did buy a computer from a store with linux on it chances are they would call tech support upset that "it doesn't work" because they can't install MS office or some other proprietary program. Most people don't know that there are free alternatives (like open office) and when you try telling them they figure it has to be illegal/pirated or something because proprietary software companies have been beating the message that you should pay for all software into their heads for the last decade or more.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

  9. #19
    tcoffeep Guest

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    Quote Originally Posted by donkyhotay View Post
    People go to a store and just buy a computer. They don't care what it comes with, since MS uses it's leverage to force windows on every system it can thats all people know about. If they did buy a computer from a store with linux on it chances are they would call tech support upset that "it doesn't work" because they can't install MS office or some other proprietary program. Most people don't know that there are free alternatives (like open office) and when you try telling them they figure it has to be illegal/pirated or something because proprietary software companies have been beating the message that you should pay for all software into their heads for the last decade or more.
    People go to a store and just buy a computer, yeah. The rest of what you say, though, I have a problem with. MS doesn't use its leverage to force Windows on every system... no. You're wrong, there. Generally, the computers sold to consumers work. And they generally work with very little wrong with them. With linux, they'd need to do this, and do that, and do this and that. Mind you, not always. Sometimes it really does just work(tm)... just not very often.
    People don't care what they use because what they use generally doesn't cause them any freakin' problems. If it did, a google search would give them every answer. Here's the really awesome part : Some people know there are free alternatives, but don't give a **** because they like supporting what they use. Freakin' crazy people, these days.

    You know, I told my girlfriend's father about openoffice. He tried it, said it was ****, and reinstalled Microsoft Office. So, no. It's not misinformed people, all the time. It's called preference and taste.

    Have a nice day.

    -Dex

  10. #20

    Re: Why Linux Isn't the Most Popular Operating System

    Quote Originally Posted by tcoffeep View Post
    people go to a store and just buy a computer, yeah. The rest of what you say, though, i have a problem with. Ms doesn't use its leverage to force windows on every system... No. You're wrong, there. Generally, the computers sold to consumers work. And they generally work with very little wrong with them. With linux, they'd need to do this, and do that, and do this and that. Mind you, not always. Sometimes it really does just work(tm)... Just not very often.
    People don't care what they use because what they use generally doesn't cause them any freakin' problems. If it did, a google search would give them every answer. Here's the really awesome part : Some people know there are free alternatives, but don't give a **** because they like supporting what they use. Freakin' crazy people, these days.

    You know, i told my girlfriend's father about openoffice. He tried it, said it was ****, and reinstalled microsoft office. So, no. It's not misinformed people, all the time. It's called preference and taste.

    Have a nice day.

    -dex
    +1

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •