Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old computer: Xubuntu vs Fluxbuntu vs U-lite vs Spri. Which one is better?

Beans

Re: Old computer: Xubuntu vs Fluxbuntu vs U-lite vs Spri. Which one is better?

i had the same deal.. my G-ma got a ancient outdated computer... i tryed a few versions of linux just for testing to see what worked better. i couldnt get anything to run too smoothly but it did run, untill some one suggested puppy linux.. that worked like a charm. it was on an old school computer running windows 98 and puppy works great on it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

First of all, thanks for all the suggestion. I am going to try the distribution mentioned above this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallvor View Post
    Do a barebones install and go for LXDE.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

Install Nano, xorg and gdm from the command line, change your sources.list and follow the instructions on this page:

http://navaspot.wordpress.com/2009/0...xde-on-ubuntu/

It is not easy to make it lighter than that if you want something ubuntu based.
    Where can I download the Ubuntu minimal CD? This link doesn't work.
    Ubuntu 7.10 on P4 1.8G and PIII 933mHz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by afeasfaerw23231233 View Post
    My friend has a Pentium III 933mhz computer with 256MB SDRAM, 20GB harddisk. The main purpose is browsing the Internet only. May I ask which version of Ubuntu-based OS,such as Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, U-lite and Spri, is the most suitable?
    A friend of mine has ubunu installed on a similar pc and has no complaints. I think it's more abotu what apps you use than the DE itself.

But I'd also suggest crunchbang on a machine like that.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My friend has a Pentium III 933mhz computer with 256MB SDRAM, 20GB harddisk. The main purpose is browsing the Internet only. May I ask which version of Ubuntu-based OS,such as Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, U-lite and Spri, is the most suitable?
    Xubuntu's been getting a little heavy lately, too heavy for that rig as of 9.04. I've tried U-Lite, and it runs pretty well on low spec'd machines - you could get away with installing Firefox (or better, Swiftfox) on that rig with U-Lite installed and have a good machine for mainly browsing. I've never tried Spri, though I hear good things, and Fluxbuntu appears to only now be getting back to being developed.

Another option I'd toss on that box would be Debian XFCE. Debian's XFCE implementation is a good bit lighter than Xubuntu, especially lately.
    Desktop: Custom - AMD Athlon X4 Quadcore 4.02GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 500GB HDD, Win7 x64/Ubuntu 14.04 x64
    Laptop: Thinkpad T61 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 4GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, Win7 x86/Ubuntu 14.04 x86

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

First of all, thanks for all the suggestion. I am going to try the distribution mentioned above this week.

Doesn't work?

The link works just fine. I just tried it. Maybe it was down just when you tried it?

Try http://releases.ubuntu.com/jaunty/ and install from the alternate CD. There should be an option at the boot menu to install a minimal system.

I just realized it's been a terrifically long time since I installed a minimal Ubuntu system. I need to correct that. ...
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Fluxbuntu was dead before it was ever alive. The 7.10 was bugged out beyond belief.

Xubuntu is the worst XFCE distro ever. XFCE is very lightweight on anything that isn't Ubuntu.

I vote for Ubuntu minimal + Openbox/IceWM/JWM or Crunchbang.

Beans
    Hidden!

Can I just say #!Crunchbang. It is quite lightweight. Relatively of course compared to the regular Ubuntu install. But compared to some minimalist setups with IceWM or JWM or Puppy or DSL, crunch might seem heavy.
    4GB OCZ Gold RAM Windows XP/Slackware64 NVIDIA GTS250 GDDR3 320 Western Digital HD AMD Athlon x64 5400+

Slackware Linsux

Beans
    Hidden!

Masonux or #! maybe?
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

My friend has a Pentium III 933mhz computer with 256MB SDRAM...
    That processor's probably running on a board that can support at least 768 MB. There's a dramatic difference between 256MB and 1 GB. Your friend should upgrade the memory, dirt cheap.
    Aspire One D257, 2GB DDR3-1333

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast