Thread: Ubuntu locked up while updating to 9.10

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu locked up while updating to 9.10

While updating from 9.04 (a fresh install) to 9.10 Ubuntu had a hard lock up, I couldn't move my cursor or switch to a non-graphical runlevel. When I tried to boot Ubuntu (both normally and in recover mode) it wouldn't get to the login screen, I'm assuming this is because I had to shut it down in the middle of a major update. Is there any way I can continue the update from a Live CD or something, or make my install bootable so I can finish the update?
    "What does fighting crime mean, exactly? Does it mean upholding the law when a woman shoplifts to feed her children, or does it mean struggling to uncover the ones who, quite legally, have brought about her poverty?"
    Adrian Veidt, Watchmen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu locked up while updating to 9.10

Do you mean that while upgrading 9.04 to 9.10 you had a freeze up. So what we all need to know is where in the procesas it froze up it sounds like the upgrade was downloaded to your computer and it froze on the 9.10 installation is this correct.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu locked up while updating to 9.10

I came up with a solution myself. If anyone else has this problem they can boot from the live CD and do this:

Code:
    sudo su
    mount -o bind /dev /media/UBUNTU/dev
    mount -o bind /dev/pts /media/UBUNTU/dev/pts
    mount -o bind /dev/shm /media/UBUNTU/dev/shm
    mount -o bind /proc /media/UBUNTU/proc
    chroot /media/UBUNTU /bin/bash
    dpkg --configure -a
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    exit
    Replace UBUNTU with the directory your Ubuntu partition is mounted in.
    "What does fighting crime mean, exactly? Does it mean upholding the law when a woman shoplifts to feed her children, or does it mean struggling to uncover the ones who, quite legally, have brought about her poverty?"
    Adrian Veidt, Watchmen