Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot 9.10 without monitor connected

Beans

Re: Boot 9.10 without monitor connected

I am having same problem. I cannot boot without a monitor. The PC completely freezes because when i hit caps lock or number lock no lights turn on and when i plug the monitor up after that i get nothing but a black screen. I have to shut it down hard (hold down the power button) and then power back up.

I think its after the grub selection. When I shut it down hard - the next time it boots it goes into this menu "kernel ... something or other" is the first choice. "kernel ... something + safe mode" is the second choice. The third and fourth choices are memory tests. (i can see this because i reattached the monitor).

So then i do another hard shutdown. Pull the monitor cable. Then I power back up. I see the hard drive flashing flashing ... and then stop. I'm (blindly) guessing that its at the Grub selection menu again. So I hit enter. Sure enough the hard drive light goes flashing flashing ... then stops. At that point I'm frozen again (no caps lock or number lock and black screen when i reconnect the monitor).

I tried the xorg.conf thing. Didn't work.

I'm trying to do this last suggestion by marleaux. Someone please help me.

I go "cd /etc/default/grub" it says "no such directory"
    So I go "cd /etc/default/" apparently "grub" is a file.
    I go "sudo pico grub" and i see a file open up.
    i find the line that says "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT".
    The full line reads:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash"
    I put a # in front of that line.
    Then i enter
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "i915.modest=0"

tried reboot with no monitor - same thing. Frozen.

my computer is a IBM thinkcentre S50 8183-GNU and it has intel integrated video. I went to Lenovo website and obtained latest BIOS update. There is no option in the BIOS for "halt on" anything. I am running 9.10 Karmic.

Somebody please help?
    And when providing a solution please be more specific. When marleaux wrote "And I added xrandr settings to /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45custom_xrandr-settings" i thought ... "i dont have a 45custom_xrandr-settings" file in that directory and even if i did i don't know how to "add xrandr settings".

Beans

more details. The same problem happens to me with Ubuntu 9.04. I just reloaded the system with ubuntu 9.04 - same thing. What could be wrong?

Beans

I don't know if this is relevant to your problem, but I had this when trying to boot with just an HDMI TV connected. It needed either a VGA or DVI monitor connected.
    http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8693251
    The solution that worked for me was removing the 'splash' option from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line; but it seems you did that anyway.
    You did run update-grub didn't you? (As described at the top of /etc/default/grub.)

Beans

I found that it works if you open /etc/default/grub and edit the line that says:

to say:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet"

I am running 9.10 on an Intel Atom as a file and web server, so I want to be able to tuck this computer away in a closet with only power and network running to it, now it starts perfectly without a monitor attached.

Beans

Any news here?

I have same problem with 9.10 - won't boot up without display. Yesterday I upgraded to 9.10 and once again this headless boot-up problem occurred. I got workaround for 9.04 with VESA driver trick, but now I have used all tricks I have read here.

I have MSI mainboard with integrated graphics card and most likely I have Intel chipset, but earlier mentioned trick did not work for me.

GRUB 2 upgraded and tricks done also there - no cure.

With display no problems to boot up, but without - always stuck and cannot connect to VNC, putty or other way. Long press of power button is only way to get out.

these are already used:
    915.modest=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub

Next tip - please?

--JaSa
    Last edited by jasa66; April 10th, 2010 at 12:47 PM.

Beans

I found that it works if you open /etc/default/grub and edit the line that says:

to say:

I am running 9.10 on an Intel Atom as a file and web server, so I want to be able to tuck this computer away in a closet with only power and network running to it, now it starts perfectly without a monitor attached.

I have a PC with Intel Atom I followed your instructions but when I do sudo update-grub gives me this error

/ Etc / default / grub: 9: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT: not found

What can be wrong?

someone help me thanks

Beans

I've got the same problem in 10.04 Beta 2. It wasn't an issue in 9.04. I know the PC boots up & Ubuntu starts loading because I can ping it after about 20 second - I can't VNC or Remote Desktop.

I will try the various suggestions here and post my progress.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

There's a typo above with kernel line! It should be i915.modeset=0.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

I have tryed all of the tips in this topic, The only thing i got stuck on is the 45 custom thing not sure how to do that.

Regards
    Gh0sty

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've now tried the modeset hack to the kernel line and the xrandr in xession.d but to no avail. Seems that there's no way to boot a really headless server into X without a monitor connected, with linux and intel 945g/gma950 graphics. Earlier hacks in xorg.conf "option NoDDC" and the like aren't working either. Whata bummer!
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast