Thread: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO Drivers?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO Drivers?

Hey all,

First post so I guess I will say hello here. Hello! Now on to my question. I started using Ubuntu again after a break from it. Even when I did use it, I only had it on my laptop which had a nvidia graphics card on it for about a month. Now I need it on my desktop for web work (I do php but want to dabble in Ruby on Rails a bit) but I have an ATI card in it. The problem I face is the proprietary driver that Ubuntu Hardware Installer suggested slows down my startup, my display properties window (basically locks up) and anything I basically attempt to do. I was wondering if there is an easy to follow guide on an open source driver for my ATI card that might help? Any suggestions will help here.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Re: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO Drivers?

bump?

Beans
    Distro

Anyone got any feedback on this?

Beans

Yup, ATI is a bit of a pain in the neck to figure out. But basically, for ATI cards other that recent HD3000 and up, the 9.10 Catalyst drivers will not work. Support stops at Catalyst 9.3.

However, open drivers work best and have good performance overall. This will also depend on your version of Ubuntu. Open drivers are known as "radeon". Anyhow, if you go over here : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver, you ought to do well for a start.

First, though, you'll have to uninstall the Catalyst drivers, also known as fglrx. I believe this is outlined in the above link. Otherwise, removing fglrx is also described here (this is the link for Jaunty 9.04): http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu..._REMOVE_DRIVER
    Last edited by BMWDriver; October 21st, 2009 at 05:31 AM.
    www.quebecman.net
    Comic artist; love to use the Gimp to edit my drawings.
    Ubuntu is super fast and reliable with my good ol' AMD Athlon XP2600+ (1.9 GHz) with my ATI All-in-Wonder X800 XT graphics card.

Beans

Hi, first post 2, how you getting on with the HD 2600 pro?

I have the same problems here with the same card,

goood luck

pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm also having problems with mine.

When I log in I can't click on any of the panels or windows (I can navigate the windows with keystrokes but clicking doesn't work).

Dudes!

I just bought this card a few weeks ago expecting it to be better than my old radeon 7500
    (Also expecting better Linux support from an Ati card).
    Last edited by Stratis; November 19th, 2009 at 10:52 PM.