Thread: No streaming video playback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No streaming video playback

Hey all,
    As you can tell by the title of my thread that I am not receiving a video playback. I have already downloaded and installed the flash plugins, java plugins and a few others. Youtube is actually working for me, but on a number of other pages the section where the video usually will appear just stays a blank black box. Also on any website that I can play videos, instead of a normal sized play button (you know, usually in the middle of the video box there is usually a small play button) Well mine appears super huge, the play button takes up the whole video box. I don't know what;s goin on here. Few specs: I am running 64-bit ubuntu, using 32-bit FF and also 32-bit plugins (I have also DL the 64bit of flash just to try, but no difference)

Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    DUAL BOOT
    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    --Herbert Mayer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: No streaming video playback

Let's install the official 64bit flash plugin, shall we?

Uninstall the 32bit flash plugin. Download this file. Right click and extract here. Put the libflashplayer.so file on your desktop. Then:
    Code:
    sudo cp /home/your_user_name/Desktop/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
    In the above command, remember to change your_user_name to the name you login with, and Desktop is capitalized. This works for me every time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You might also want to install mozilla-mplayer as the firefox media plugin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    Let's install the official 64bit flash plugin, shall we?

Uninstall the 32bit flash plugin. Download this file. Right click and extract here. Put the libflashplayer.so file on your desktop. Then:
    Code:
    sudo cp /home/your_user_name/Desktop/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
    In the above command, remember to change your_user_name to the name you login with, and Desktop is capitalized. This works for me every time.

Thanks for the reply, but I already have both of the plugins and they are both properly installed. I am having problems with the streaming video playback, not with the plugins themselves.
    DUAL BOOT
    No programming language is perfect. There is not even a single best language; there are only languages well suited or perhaps poorly suited for particular purposes.
    --Herbert Mayer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    You might also want to install mozilla-mplayer as the firefox media plugin.

I have mplayer, also. I figured if one didn't work that I would have a back-up that would come in to play...still no such luck though.
    DUAL BOOT
    --Herbert Mayer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sounds to me like your install is mucked up, or your computer is linux incompatible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Are there any other users, with some legit advice?? No offense happyfeet but I am looking for a fix or a suggestion that would point me to a solution, NOT "Sounds to me like your install is mucked up"
    DUAL BOOT
    --Herbert Mayer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pgar23 View Post
    Are there any other users, with some legit advice?? No offense happyfeet but I am looking for a fix or a suggestion that would point me to a solution, NOT "Sounds to me like your install is mucked up"
    Believe it or not, installs do get corrupted for whatever reason. I see this all the time as someone who fixes computers for a living. It's just an educated opinion based on what you told me, and I'm sorry I wasted your time with "non-legit" advice. Good luck with all the other people (?) trying to help.

You could also try a live cd and "install" flash. That way, you will know that it can install correctly and go from there. If it does not install via live cd, chances are it's not going to. This is my last time in this thread helping you, after your semi-rude response.
    Last edited by HappyFeet; October 16th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.