Thread: Dell Studio optical drive not reading CD's

Beans

Dell Studio optical drive not reading CD's

I got this machine about two weeks ago and it has been working for me to test/install Linux distros. Guess I have used the optical drive for 10+ times. Just used it to burn CD once very recently. Now somehow it does not load CD's (Ubuntu boot CD's as well as music CD's). It does load DVD's though (Mandriva's new boot DVD is fine). It is also the same in Vista on the machine. I don't know if the burning caused the problem. But last time it worked was actually for re-installing Jaunty 64bits and it finished fine. I searched the net and saw some similar reports, but haven't seen any clear solutions. I think I will call Dell, but that may be a lengthy fix, so I wonder if anyone here can provide some insights in the mean time.

Many thanks.

Beans

Re: Dell Studio optical drive not reading CD's

Well, guess there was no interim solution. I called Dell and they found that it was a hardware problem. (Can you believe it? I got it for still less than two weeks including diagnostic time) So they agreed to send me a replacement machine. I hope this time it is OK.

BTW, the machine is Dell Studio 1450.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: Dell Studio optical drive not reading CD's

I had the same issue with my Dell Studio 1737, two days after I received it and installed ubuntu on it through the slot dvd drive, I had to return it to dell because the slot drive didn't function anymore.
    When I got the laptop back I discovered that they downgraded the bios version from A03 to A01. I think that was the problem because no hardware was changed out.
    I hope this helps anyone in the future. FYI the laptop was refurbished of course but everything works and has been stable for the past five months after I got it back for the slot drive repair.

Beans

Re: Dell Studio optical drive not reading CD's

Quote Originally Posted by Haventfoundme View Post
    I had the same issue with my Dell Studio 1737, two days after I received it and installed ubuntu on it through the slot dvd drive, I had to return it to dell because the slot drive didn't function anymore.
    When I got the laptop back I discovered that they downgraded the bios version from A03 to A01. I think that was the problem because no hardware was changed out.
    I hope this helps anyone in the future. FYI the laptop was refurbished of course but everything works and has been stable for the past five months after I got it back for the slot drive repair.
    Maybe yours was not a hardware failure. My bios is actually A00. It worked initially. I also restored the bios and that changed nothing. Dell engineer advised to reboot into diagnostic with a CD in the drive and I did. The error number tells the engineer that it is a hardware problem. BTW, running the diagnostic without the CD in the drive shows that the drive is fine.